Microsoft 365 - Getting Started with Service Accounts
What is a service account?
Important - service accounts:
- Can only be created within an Office 365 domain. It will be in the form of email@example.com.
- When created, are hidden from the Global Address List (GAL). This means that they will not be searchable from any client using the GAL.
- Can be accessed via permissions or by using the service account's direct username/password.
- Can have multiple addresses associated with it.
- Only users (NetID@wisc.edu) who are licensed for UW-Madison Office 365 accounts can interact with a service account. Microsoft licensing prohibits the use of these accounts by any external user - this means that external users cannot use the service account credentials to access the account. If you need to provide access to an external user, please request an appointment through your department's HR office.
- Can be used for UW-Madison Zoom. Learn more.
Request a service account
How to access a service account
Use the following document to learn how to access a service account: Microsoft 365 - How to access a Service Account.
Configure permissions per workflow needs
Use the 'Granting Permissions' section of the following document to configure the necessary settings: Microsoft 365 - Getting Started with User and Service Account Permissions.