Topics Map > Office of the Secretary of the Faculty > Faculty Senate > University Committee
University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-07-21
approved July 28, 2014
July 21, 2014
Present: Fair, Broman, Farrar-Edwards, Meyerand, Wendt
1. Meeting called to order: 1:00 PM
a. Minutes of the meeting of University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-07-14 were approved.
b. Discussion of indirect costs memo (and letter): UC feels overall budgeting requires transparency, but a faculty committee for ICR distribution would be problematic; appropriate level seems to be with deans. Will discuss with VCFA next week and suggest general presentation on process to dispel myths and explain how allocations are made and ways to increase transparency.
c. Scheduling: 2 hours of standing meetings too much, will alternate some.
2. Planning discussion for VCRGE meetings
3. Update from PROFS on forum
4. Farrar-Edwards moved and Broman 2nd to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1) (c) and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Motion passes: 1:45 PM.
5. Farrar-Edwards moved and Meyerand 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passes: 2:30 PM.
6. Chancellor Update: Rebecca Blank
Update on emergency simulation.
Discussion of recent press on Diversity Framework.
Discussion of possible creation of a communications position to review faculty documents. Potential for misunderstanding of certain documents (such as Classified Research and Diversity Framework) is high; acknowledgment of challenges and difficulties inherent in creating coherent documents from (large, diverse, sensitive) committees and groups.
7. Update from Vice Provost for Lifelong Learning: Jeff Russell and Mary Thompson.
Handout ("Comprehensive Strategic Plan for Lifelong Learning 2020") provided electronically but not intended to be focus of update, which is more about providing broader context of learning and continuum of learners (issues of access, different approaches, credit vs noncredit, etc.). Focus on lifelong learning aims to engage broader group of stakeholders and encourage more discussion. Need to adjust infrastructure and also rethink delivery. Discussion topics: expanding and diversifying, not replacing existing modes; built around expertise of faculty and academic staff; credentialing vs learning; enrichment; creation of community; workload issues. Overarching question for this process: How to provide access to reach more people in the state.
8. Meeting adjourned: 3:33 PM.
Steven K. Smith
Secretary of the Faculty