Topics Map > Office of the Secretary of the Faculty > Faculty Senate > University Committee
University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-02-10
University Committee Meeting Minutes
approved February 17, 2014
February 10, 2014
Present: Bernard-Donals, Cook, Fair, Meyerand, Petty
Absent: Farrar Edwards
The meeting began at 1:00 p.m.
1. Minutes of the meeting of February 3, 2014 (Document 130448) were approved as distributed
2. Vice Chancellor for Finance and Admin—Darrell reported that he and Paul DeLuca are putting together a small internal group to look at the recommendations in the Report on Fossil Fuel and Climate Change. He thought that some of the items in the report would be relatively easy to implement.
The continuing work on arriving at a new budget model for the campus was discussed. The next steps involve the establishing two working groups. One would be a non-governance technical work group which would do the actual modelling. The second group would be a governance group that would look inward and outward and act as advisors to the technical group. They would suggest the metrics the technical work group should consider (e.g., MAMA model, credit hours generated) identify key stakeholders and leaders in the campus community that should be consulted and be willing to serve as ambassadors who would explain and promote the process and help keep the campus engaged in the effort. He envisions a group of 5 faculty members, 5 deans, plus representatives from governance groups; a total of 14-16 people.
3. Classified Staff Representation on Chapter 6 Committees (Document 130447)—working from a draft that Michael prepared, the Committee identified revisions to F.P.P. that allow for classified staff membership on Chapter 6 committees as follows:
Committee Current Change
6.26 Athletic Board
The academic staff and faculty members shall serve four-year terms and may be reappointed for one additional four-year term. Add: Two members of the classified staff, who shall have one vote each and shall be appointed by the Classified Staff Executive Committee after consultation with and approval of the chancellor
The academic staff, classified staff, and faculty members shall serve four-year terms and may be reappointed for one additional four-year term.
6.27 Campus Diversity & Climate Four classified staff, two represented and two nonrepresented, appointed by the chancellor after consultation with the Office of Classified Human Resources, the Council for Nonrepresented Classified Staff, and represented labor groups.
Four classified staff, two represented and two nonrepresented, appointed by the chancellor after consultation with the Office of Classified Human Resources, the Council for Nonrepresented Classified Staff, and represented labor groups Classified Staff Executive Committee.
6.27 Campus Planning Committee Add: 8. One classified staff member
6.30 Campus Transportation
Bicycle/Pedestrian Subcommittee Two members appointed annually by the chancellor to represent the classified civil service. Two members appointed annually by the chancellor to represent the classified civil service staff.
• Two faculty members from the CTC
• Two academic staff members from the CTC
• Twoclassified staff members from the CTC
• One student member from the CTC.
The subcommittee is chaired by a member of the Campus Transportation Committee, elected by the CTC.
The Bicycle/Pedestrian Subcommittee advises the Campus Transportation Committee, the administration, and staff on programs and policies pertaining to the development of bicycle and pedestrian ways and their associated facilities. The subcommittee encourages transportation to campus and on campus by bicycle, public transit, and walking. The encouragement takes the form of promoting safety, convenience, and economy of these modes
6.42 Information Technology Add: 3. three classified staff members
6.46 Library Add: 3. two members of the classified staff. No member of the library staff may serve as a voting member of the committee.
6.46 Recreational Sports 4. One classified staff member. 4. One Two classified staff members.
6.49 Search and Screen Committees 2. Administrators, academic staff, classified staff and students 2. Adminstrators, academic staff, classified staff and students
6.50 Committee on Retirement Issues add: 3. five active classified staff members
6.52 University Academic Planning Council
D. Budget Planning and Analysis Joint Subcommittee Add: 8. One member selected by the Classifed Staff Executive Committee from among its current members.
Add: e. The Classified Staff Executive Committee member of the University Academic Planning Council under A.8.
g. One classified staff member appointed by the Academic Staff Executive Committee
6.56 Committee on Women in the University 2. Six academic staff members
5. The Associate vice chancellor responsible for women's issues and the director of the Office for Equity and Diversity, ex officio, non-voting.
6. The chair shall be appointed from among the faculty members appointed pursuant to section A.1. Academic staff appointed pursuant to A.2. may be appointed to serve as co-chair.
Evaluates and monitors the status of women faculty and academic staff at the university. 2. Six academic staff members appointed by the Academic Staff Executive Committee
Add: 3. Six classified staff members appointed by the Classified Staff Executive Committee
7. The Associate Vice Chancellor for responsible for women's issues and the director of the Office for Equity, and Diversity and Climate, ex officio, non-voting.
8. The chair shall be appointed from among the faculty members appointed pursuant to section A.1. Academic staff appointed pursuant to A.2. may be appointed to serve as co-chair. Classified staff appointed pursuant to A.3 may be appointed to serve as co-chair.
Evaluates and monitors the status of women faculty and academic staff employees at the university.
6.58 Research, Safety and Compliance Oversight Committee Add: 4. Two classified staff members, appointed by the Classified Staff Executive Committee
1) RE 6.30: Bicycle Subcommittee— Question was raised as whether this subcommittee should become a committee of its own. Michael will contact Phil O’Leary to talk about potential difficulties filling such a committee. Adoption of the proposed change for this section of 6.30 delayed pending the outcome of their conversation.
2) RE: 6.42 unclear whether there has to be a faculty majority on this committee. UC requests CSEC suggest how many people they would like to have serving. Michael will check with Katrina whether their needs to be a faculty majority serving.
3) RE: 6.46 The UC would like the CSEC to discuss whether they would like one or two members to and report back
4) RE: 6.52 U.C. woul serve d like CSEC to discuss whether there is interest in having classified staff representation on this committee. If not, no change in the section is required.
Changes were approved to forward to CSEC for their reaction and response. Michael will send to John and Russell.
4. Chancellor Update
a. Working Group on Classified Research- The Chancellor requested that the UC form a working groupwhich along with the Provost would develop and/or revise a clear university’s policy on classified research. She would like to see a revised policy in place in the next 5 months.
b. VCR/DGS—Chancellor Blank offered her first impressions of the Working Group’s draft report. The UC will take the clarifying questions she raised to the Working Group as suggestions for revising the draft.
5. Committee on Women in the University—Rebecca Scheller & Natalia de Leon presented their Committee’s proposed changes to F.P.P. 6.56. There was some discussion about the efficacy of having 6 members from each governance group serve or 4 members from each group serve. The UC asked the committee revisit the number at their upcoming meeting. The UC approved moving the proposal forward to the senate. It was also decided that the Chairs should notify the UC of their final decision on number of members. This number would be identified in the proposal that would be sent to the Senate.
6. Motion to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters at 2:35 p.m.
7. The meeting reconvened in open session and discussed the Rec Sports Master Plan—John Horn provided an update on the status of plan to update indoor and outdoor recreational facilities. The plans were made at the behest of the students. A campus-wide student referendum on funding the plan will be held March 3-5, 2014. The referendum asks students to support new SERF and Natatorium facilities and major upgrades to the fields on either side of the Nat.
8. Don Woolston and Nancy Matthews presented their work on the Carnegie “Engaged Campus” application. The need for designating our campus as an “Engaged” university emerged out of our 2008 reaccreditation. This application is a renewal application of that status. The UC requested that a draft of the final application be sent to the UC the last of week of March for their review. The application is due April 15.
9. VCR/DGS Working Group presented their Preliminary Report. Their recommendation is that the campus adopt a model wherein there be a Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Studies and a separate Dean of the Graduate School.
It was suggested that the report more clearly define the governance structures and their roles (e.g., GFEC v. Research Council; roles and functions of the associate vice chancellors compared with the associate grad school deans, as well as their cooperative relationship).
In addition to positions, the report recommends the allocation of flexible resources should be tied to the VRCGS position to make the position more attractive quality candidates, to bring people together and to promote the development of interdisciplinary and other larger grant applications
It was suggested that greater detail should be included the report regarding the nature and function of the DGS in this new context.
A portion of the Feb 24 UC meeting will be a joint meeting of the Working Group and ASEC to discuss the next iteration of the report.
The meeting adjourned at 5:45 p.m.