Topics Map > Office of the Secretary of the Faculty > Faculty Senate > University Committee
University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-09-15
approved September 22, 2014
September 15, 2014
Present: Fair, Broman, Farrar-Edwards (arrived 12:55), Meyerand, Petty, Wendt
1. Meeting called to order: 12:32 PM.
2. Climate and Civility
a. Mark Louden shared experience and research on issues relating to faculty civility within departments. Private sector is far ahead of academia on this issue. Good efforts have been made to set tone at institutional level, but this has to be implemented and detailed at unit level. Reality is that bullying happens at all levels and across campus and is not being adequately addressed.
b. Brian Vaughn and Rachel Jeris reviewed proposed language on hostile or intimidating behavior. Explicit process to achieve non-disciplinary resolution is a good one and logically housed in office of Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff. By contrast, the formal disciplinary process is probably more detailed than it needs to be as much is already covered by FPP. However, proposed language does clarify FPP, especially 9.02 and 9.03.
3. Chris Kleinhenz and Tom Schaub reviewed ombuds report which will be presented at October Faculty Senate meeting.
4. Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration Darrell Bazzell provided an update on current budget situation, cost to continue, structural deficit, current 2-4-6 cut exercise, and possible lapse exercise.
5. VCFA and UC discussed medical campus institutional restructuring. Question raised whether this would generate any revenue for campus; VCFA will discuss with chancellor.
6. Follow-up discussion with VCFA about library budgeting.
7. Fire drill at 2:00. Broman left.
8. Following fire drill (2:07 PM), Provost Mangelsdorf and UC continued discussion on library.
9. UC updated provost on faculty senate meeting procedure. Provost will present UAPC report at October meeting.
10. Brief discussion with provost about Unizin/Canvas. UC supportive of initiative.
11. Meyerand moved and Farrar-Edwards 2nd to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) and (f) to discuss personnel matters. Motion passed: 2:15 PM.
12. Meyerand moved and Farrar-Edwards 2nd to reconvene in open session. Motion passed: 2:41 PM.
13. Judith Burstyn presented additional language for Performance Management Policy presented last year to UC. Will require faculty supervisors to complete performance management process in order to remain eligible for pay plans. A record-keeping function similar to effort certification will be created. Mapping of individuals and responsibilities yet to be done. Consensus that new checks and balances and implementation of good supervisory practices is positive. However, new process would be enforcement oriented; there is currently no method to positively recognize good managers. Incentives along this line should be explored.
14. Division of International Studies governance: UC approves APC format instead of governance committee structure.
15. Minutes of the meeting of September 8, 2014, approved.
16. Discussion of process for naming search and screen committees. Some concern that UC may be sidestepped on clearing of names. Relates to broader issue of whether UC maintains oversight of processes that should be under faculty purview. UC should clarify role in processes such as searches and course proposals that have been moved out of the Office of the Secretary of the Faculty. Changes made for solid reasons, but faculty oversight through UC should be reaffirmed.
17. Update on parental leave charge: final draft for discussion next week.
18. Update on 360 review: Petty and Broman to meet with CSEC and ASEC.
19. Petty left 3:20 PM.
20. Discussion of timing on introducing civility language to Senate. Revisions will be discussion next week to get ready for October Senate meeting.
21. Discussion of governance in state statutes. Cross will be invited back to talk to UC; PROFS will have directors meeting next week before UC meeting.
22. Update on budget model committee: interim report will become final report and committee is likely being disbanded.
23. Meeting adjourned: 3:40 PM.
Steven K. Smith, Secretary of the Faculty