UW-Madison Zoom - Meeting and Webinar Add-On Overview
There are two types of events you can create within Zoom: Meetings and Webinars. Both have many features and settings that can be managed - see full comparison of these features/settings.
In addition to all the features/settings you can manage, there are limits on the number of participants each event type can hold.
- What is a meeting event?
- What is a webinar event?
- Participant Limits
- Meeting/Webinar comparison
- How can I host a meeting with more than 300 participants?
- How can I host a webinar?
- Is there a cost for these add-on licenses?
- How do I request one of these add-on licenses?
- How can I tell if I have one of these add-on licenses on my account?
- When setting up a webinar with registration, can I limit the number of individuals who can register?
What is a meeting event?
Zoom meetings are ideal for hosting more interactive sessions where you’ll want to have lots of audience participation or break your session into smaller groups.
What is a webinar event?
Think of webinars like a virtual lecture hall or auditorium. Webinars are ideal for large audiences or events that are open to the public. Typically, webinar attendees do not interact with one another. Though Zoom provides options for you to get more social with your attendees, your average webinar has one or a few people speaking to an audience.
300 (up to 1000 *)
add-on license required (up to 1000 *)
How can I host a meeting with more than 300 participants?
If you need to host a meeting with more than 300 participants, the owner of the event will need to request an add-on license. The following add-ons are available for request:
How can I host a webinar?
You must have a webinar license assigned to the account hosting the event (NetID or service account) to create a webinar event - see below for steps on how to request this add-on license. The following webinar add-ons are available for request:
Important: If you are making a request to assign this add-on to a service account, make sure you the service account has already been licensed for UW-Madison Zoom account.
Is there a cost for these add-on licenses?
No. The cost for these licenses has been included in the full purchase of Zoom for UW-Madison, so you will not need to pay for them. However, there is a limited amount of these licenses available.
How do I request one of these add-on licenses?
Please submit your request using via our Zoom Add-on Request form.
The information you provide will be vetted by Zoom leadership for approval.
How can I tell if I have one of these add-on licenses on my account?
- Go to https://uwmadison.zoom.us/.
- Click Sign In – if prompted to select an account, select the account you want to access.
- Go to "Profile" page.
- Within the "License Type" section, you should see which add-on licenses are assigned to your account.