InterPro - Teaching & Learning - Tools & Technology - Kaltura
Kaltura is UW-Madison's choice media hosting and delivery platform. It is often described as "YouTube for UW-Madison." Faculty, staff, and students can upload media content to UW-Madison Kaltura MediaSpace. Media can then be linked to or embedded in a Canvas course, or website. Kaltura - Overview (UW-Madison).
The UW-Madison Canvas learning management system features integration with Kaltura MediaSpace. Media can be embedded wherever the Canvas rich content editor is available. This integration offers some functionality of Kaltura MediaSpace (record, upload, publish, search, and share) directly from within Canvas. Upload and embed a new Kaltura MediaSpace video in a Canvas page (UW-Madison).
Application and Limitations
Kaltura MediaSpace is used to engage and communicate with learners. There is no limit to how much you can upload, but Kaltura MediaSpace is not meant to be a permanent storage repository so it is recommended to keep a local copy of important files. Processing should take no more than 24 hours. As always, content must comply with campus policies.
Avoid These Pitfalls
To ensure that your source file is quickly processed, while offering the optimal video and audio quality, please follow these recommendations:
- File Size: Keep files under 2GB
- File Type: Upload mp4 video only
- Upload Speed: 1 Mbps upload speed should be able to upload a 250 MB file in approximately 35 minutes. Video files take a while to upload from a home internet connection, please take this into consideration.
- Download Speed: Up to 4.2 Mbps download speed is needed to view the largest, highest quality videos.
- Processing Time: Generally, it takes about 2-3 times the video's duration for Kaltura MediaSpace to display an initial, lower-quality version of your video, but it can take up to 24 hours. If the processing takes longer than 24 hours, contact UW-Madison Information Technology (DoIT).
See Recommended video source formats and specifications for all recommended settings.
- Kaltura - Overview [UW-Madison]
- Kaltura - Features [UW-Madison]
- Canvas - Upload and embed a new Kaltura Mediaspace video in a Canvas page [UW-Madison]
- Canvas - Embedding an existing Kaltura MediaSpace video in a Canvas Page [UW-Madison]
Best Practices / FAQ
- Kaltura - Frequently Asked Questions [UW-Madison]
- Kaltura MediaSpace - Recommended video source formats and specifications [UW-Madison]
- Kaltura - Effective practices for creating video content [UW-Madison]
- Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace [UW-Madison]
- Kaltura - How to order machine captions for media in Kaltura MediaSpace [UW-Madison]
- Kaltura - How to edit captions in Kaltura MediaSpace [UW-Madison]
- Kaltura - Creating, editing, and embedding standalone playlists [UW-Madison]
- Kaltura - Media Collaboration: Changing media ownership, adding co-editors, co-publishers, and co-viewers [UW-Madison]
- Kaltura - Forms for requesting bulk changes to Kaltura media [UW-Madison]
- Kaltura - How to Upload Videos to MediaSpace using Your Phone [UW-Madison]
- Kaltura - How to Add questions to your videos with Kaltura video quizzes [UW-Madison]