Kaltura - Getting Started (UW-Madison)
This document provides some basic information about the UW-Madison Kaltura MediaSpace service.
What is UW-Madison Kaltura MediaSpace?
Some terminology (small distinction that can help avoid confusion):
- Kaltura - The MediaSpace vendor; sometimes their brand name is used synonymously with their tool.
- MediaSpace - The media hosting/delivery tool and website (for UW-Madison this is https://mediaspace.wisc.edu/)
Kaltura MediaSpace is a cloud-based product developed by Kaltura which facilitates the conversion and distribution of various audio and video media formats. Faculty, staff and students can upload media content to UW-Madison Kaltura MediaSpace, at which point it is automatically converted and optimized for hassle-free distribution on the web. Media links and embed code are provided so that you can share your media with others.
UW-Madison Kaltura MediaSpace is located at https://mediaspace.wisc.edu/. Simply use your campus NetID credentials to log on. Please note, to assign privileges to other users, they must have logged into https://mediaspace.wisc.edu/ at least once.
Integrations with Desire2Learn & Moodle
Both the UW-Madison Desire2Learn (Learn@UW) and Moodle learning management systems feature integration with Kaltura MediaSpace. This integration offers some functionality of Kaltura MediaSpace (record, upload, publish, search, and share) directly from within the learning management system environment. Visit the Moodle or Desire2Learn knowledgebases for more information. Please note that for complete functionality, it is recommended you use https://mediaspace.wisc.edu/
Best Practices & Tips for Using Kaltura MediaSpace
Before you use Kaltura MediaSpace, it's helpful to review Kaltura - Best Practices (UW-Madison) for some background information on policies, appropriate use, and so on.
Recommended Video Source Formats and Specifications
We recommend that you compress your video to a MP4 file before uploading to Kaltura MediaSpace. For more specific information on the recommended settings please review Kaltura - Recommended Video Source Formats and Specifications (UW-Madison).
Several "How-to" documents, documented issues, and tutorial videos are available on the UW-Madison Kaltura MediaSpace knowledgebase and offer helpful information on getting started.
Kaltura MediaSpace is supported by the DoIT Help Desk. Please contact them for technical assistance or if you have questions.
- Kaltura - Creating a Podcast (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura - Developing Video Assignments (UW-Madison)
- UW-Madison Kaltura and UW-Madison Google Apps YouTube Comparison (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura - Recommended Video Source Formats and Specifications (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura - Best Practices (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura - Getting Started (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura - How to Log in to MediaSpace (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura - Features (UW-Madison)
- Kaltura - Media Collaboration (UW-Madison)