Honorlock - Getting Started [UW-Madison]
This document provides resources and information for instructors on how to get started with Honorlock at UW-Madison.
- Please consult these frequently asked questions for Honorlock functionality information and relevant University policies and guidance. The University will continue to monitor legal developments related to online proctoring and will adapt policies and guidance accordingly.
- Honorlock does not have to be used for every assessment. Instructors can choose to use Honorlock on an assessment by assessment basis.
- Repeated use of Honorlock requires regular set-up tasks to be completed each semester. Refer to Honorlock - Semester to Semester for tasks regularly needed on a semesterly basis.
- Instructors should inform students in advance and include a statement in the course syllabus if proctoring (remote or in person) will be required. For more details about what to include on your syllabus if exam proctoring will be used, see Course Syllabi at UW-Madison, under "General Guidelines for Exam Proctoring."
- Instructors should provide students clear information about the proctoring process, including how to access the exams and what technology is required.
- Use minimal proctoring settings for your use case. In some cases using Honorlock to lock down students’ browsers may be sufficient.
- Communicate with students which features of Honorlock you are using for which assessments and why.
Information to Share with Students
- Honorlock only works when using a Chrome browser on Windows or macOS desktop computer platforms. Exams cannot be proctored with Honorlock on a phone or tablet.
- Students must install a Chrome extension to complete an Honorlock proctored assessment.
- Some students accessing an exam outside the United States may need to use a VPN while taking their exam. See here for more information on UW's VPN services
- If students have any issues prior to or during their exam, they should contact Honorlock support directly in Canvas through their chat feature, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UW-Madison has reviewed Honorlock and determined it complies with FERPA and other privacy standards. You can view Honorlock’s Student Privacy Statement here.
- Before the launch of every proctoring session, Honorlock will prompt students to agree to their Terms of Service and Data Collection and Use policy.
Please review Honorlock - Accessibility & Usability Information (Instructor) for important accessibility information to consider when using Honorlock.
Steps to Get Started with Honorlock
- Log in to Canvas.
- Enable Honorlock in your Canvas course (Honorlock - Enabling Honorlock in Canvas (Instructor)). Once enabled, it will appear in the course navigation bar for you and your students.
- Enable your exam in Honorlock.
- If you’d like to use Honorlock as a lockdown browser, you can enable this feature in Proctoring Settings. See Using Honorlock as a Lockdown Browser for details.
Questions and Support
Honorlock offers direct support 24/7/365 for instructors and students via phone ((844) 243-2500), live chat and email (email@example.com). Live chat is accessible via the chat bubble at the bottom right of the Honorlock page in Canvas.