L&S Letter Templates for Short-Term Staff
This document contains templates for short-term staff (STS) appointment letters, with links to frequently used documents and policies.
Please see L&S Letter Templates for Academic Staff, University Staff, TE and LI Appointments for other academic staff offer letters.
Before drafting an offer letter, you may find the following documents helpful:
Please use the templates below to create a draft appointment letter and email to your STS/SA HR Rep for review. You will also need to submit a copy of the instructor's CV and any related documents. Possible related documents include the following:
For open recruitments through TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then email the final draft to your STS / SA HR Rep. The HR Rep will send the letter to the instructor via TREMS.
Offers outside of TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then mail or email the offer to your instructor along with any enclosures. Links to the enclosures are below.
- Academic Staff STS: This template should be used for most short-term instructional academic staff hires, including lecturers, faculty assistants, adjunct faculty and visiting faculty.
- Lecturer(SA): Any graduate or professional student hired as a lecturer will have the "Lecturer (SA)" title (see Lecturer (SA) appointments in L&S: Minimum Qualifications, Course Assignments, Supervision, Evaluation ). See University of Wisconsin–Madison Maximum Levels of Graduate Assistantship Appointments Policy or L&S Student Assistant Appointment Letter Templates for limitations on Student Assistant appointments.
- Instructional Temporary Increase: Use to temporarily increase an existing instructional academic staff appointment.
- Rehired Annuitant STS: Please use for employees who retired after July 2, 2013.
- Zero Dollar Instructional: Please see the L&S Policy on Volunteers for more information.
- Visiting Faculty: Please see L&S Instructional Visiting Faculty for more information.
- Group 1 Academic Attachment (most STS will use this attachment)
- Group 1 Annual Attachment
- Common STS Furlough Requirements (READ ME! Cheat sheet for Furlough Attachment!)
- Furlough Calculator for HR use
See Intermittent Furloughs for more details on furlough requirements. All employees have intermittent furlough obligations except the following Employee Classes: SA, ET, CL, SH, Non-FTE appointments (eg: zero dollar, L-Basis), H-1B and E-3 Visa holders, those on Position Specific Furlough or those on Workshare, and Summer Service (SV)/Summer Session (SS) appointments.
Dates & Calendars
- Fall 2020
- Payroll start: August 17, 2020
- Payroll end: December 31, 2020
- Courses begin: September 2, 2020
- Exams end: December 18, 2020
- Spring 2021
- Payroll start: January 1, 2021
- Payroll end: May 16, 2021
- Courses begin: January 19, 2021
- Exams end: May 7, 2021
For summer sessions appointments, please reference the dates on your department's "Expense Details" report.
Calculating Gross Salary
Most short-term instructors are paid based on a 9-month, C-Basis rate (see L&S Standard Rates for Short-term Staff and Student Assistants ).
- Semester-length course: Base rate / 2 * appointment percentage.
- Academic year salary: Base rate * appointment percentage.
- Other: If the appointment is not based on a semester or academic year, use the "FLOAT" tool to calculate the instructor's salary: [Link for document 25279 is unavailable at this time.]
Enclosures & Links
Policy LinksL&S Instructional Visiting Faculty
For questions regarding the policy/procedures, please contact your STS/SA HR Rep.