L&S Letter Templates for Short-Term Staff
This document contains templates for short-term staff (STS) appointment letters, with links to frequently used documents and policies.
See these L&S KBs for other types of appointment letter templates:
Before drafting an offer letter, you may find the following documents helpful:
- How to request short-term staff.
- Information on short-term staff recruitment.
- Standard STS base rates.
- L&S Lecturer policy.
- UAPC Policy on Minimum Qualifications for Instructional Staff .
Please use the templates below to create a draft appointment letter and email to your STS/SA HR Rep for review. You will also need to submit a copy of the instructor's CV and any related documents. Possible related documents include the following:
For open recruitments through TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then email the final draft to your STS / SA HR Rep. The HR Rep will send the letter to the instructor via TREMS.
Offers outside of TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then mail or email the offer to your instructor along with any enclosures. Links to the enclosures are below.
- Academic Staff STS: This template should be used for most short-term instructional academic staff hires, including lecturers, faculty assistants, adjunct faculty and visiting faculty.
- Lecturer(SA): Any graduate or professional student hired as a lecturer will have the "Lecturer (SA)" title (see Lecturer (SA) appointments in L&S: Minimum Qualifications, Course Assignments, Supervision, Evaluation ). See University of Wisconsin–Madison Maximum Levels of Graduate Assistantship Appointments Policy or L&S Student Assistant Appointment Letter Templates for limitations on Student Assistant appointments.
- Instructional Temporary Increase: Use to temporarily increase an existing instructional academic staff appointment.
- Rehired Annuitant STS: Please use for employees who retired after July 2, 2013.
- Zero Dollar Instructional: Please see the L&S Policy on Volunteers for more information.
- Visiting Faculty
Dates & Calendars
- Fall 2021
- Payroll start: August 23, 2021
- Payroll end: January 5, 2022
- Courses begin: September 8, 2021
- Exams end: December 23, 2021
- Spring 2022
- Payroll start: January 6, 2022
- Payroll end: May 22, 2022
- Courses begin: January 25, 2022
- Exams end: May 13, 2022
For summer sessions appointments, please reference the dates on your department's "Expense Details" report in Box.
Calculating Gross Salary
Most short-term instructors are paid based on a 9-month, C-Basis rate (see L&S Standard Rates for Short-term Staff and Student Assistants ).
Use the FLOAT tool to calculate the instructor's salary.
Enclosures & Links
For questions regarding the policy/procedures, please contact your STS/SA HR Rep.