Topics Map > Campus Services > Student Center
Student Center - SSN Entry Page
This document explains how to enter a Social Security Number into the module in Student Center.
See the following webpage to learn about 1098T forms and why the University would like your Social Security Number: http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/bursar/traquery.html.
Accessing the Social Security Number Page
Visit and log into MyUW, and then navigate to the Student Center app
You may be presented with the following alert when you log into Student Center
Click on the Social Security Number Page link, or if you weren't the recipient of the alert above, simply navigate to Personal Information and then social security number
Enter in your Social Security Number in the Social Security Number and Retype Social Security Number fields.
- Click on the Save box.
- You will be taken to a page confirming that you have entered your Social Security Number.
- Check the I do not wish to provide my Social Security Number box.
- Click on Save.
- Click the I do not wish to provide my Social Security Number radio button.
- You will be taken to a page confirming that you have successfully declined to provide your Social Security Number.
Note: It may take up to one day for MyUW to recognize that you have entered a SSN, so the Social Security Number Module may still appear in My UW for up to one day after you've entered in your SSN or declined to enter an SSN.
"Please enter a valid Social Security Number"
You have incorrectly entered your SSN. Try re-entering it. SSNs cannot be any of the following:
- 000 (An SSN that starts with three zeros)
- 666 (An SSN that starts with three sixes)
- Less than 9 digits
- Contain any non-digit characters such as letters or punctuation.
"The Social Security Number you entered already exists. Please enter a valid Social Security Number"
Confirm that you are entering the correct SSN in both fields. Otherwise, contact either the Bursar's Office at (608) 262-3611 or the Office of the Registrar at (608) 262-3811 .
"The Social Security Number you entered does not match the Retyped Social Security Number
The SSNs you entered do not match. Try re-entering them.
"You must enter your Social Security Number twice before saving"
You need to enter your SSN in both fields.
You cannot provide a Social Security Number and choose to opt out at the same time
You have entered your SSN in both fields and checked the box to opt out of entering your SSN. Choose to either enter your SSN or not do so.