Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Kaltura
Kaltura - Reviewing Analytics in MediaSpace Channels (UW-Madison)
Kaltura MediaSpace can provide analytics for your media when your videos are hosted and viewed in a channel.
If you want information on how users are viewing collections of media, you can organize your materials in a Kaltura MediaSpace channel. If that channel is then share with your users analytics will be collected on all media played in the channel. More information on this functionality is available in Kaltura's documentation Channel Analytics.
Kaltura updated channel analytics on June 2, 2020. Their documentation linked above was not updated at that point - we will remove this when we see that they have updated their documentation. Users should be aware that Kaltura MediaSpace analytics are not real-time and take about a day to update. Kaltura MediaSpace analytics may also not be collected from users running privacy or ad-blocking software unless they whitelist stats.kaltura.com and analytics.kaltura.com domains.
To view analytics on a channel:
- Launch Chrome or Firefox and go to Kaltura MediaSpace: mediaspace.wisc.edu. If you need more information on how to log in to MediaSpace please see Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison) .
- Click your username button in the upper right corner and select My Channels.
- Click on the channel you want to look at.
- Click on the Channel Actions button and select Analytics:
- The channel analytics screen will display:
A unique numerical identifier for your Canvas Kaltura channel
which can be useful when reporting problems to the DoIT Help Desk for
- Creation date: When your channel was created.
- Last update:
When your channel was last updated. Depending on your browser
zoom level, this may be obscured by the "Export" drop-down and has been
reported to Kaltura.
- Export: Opens a drop-down menu to export various pieces of your channel analytics into CSV files.
Various filters to filter your analytics by media type (video, audio,
images), entry source, viewing contrext, tags, country, region, or city.
- Date range:
You can select from preset ranges (Ex: Last 7 Days, Last 30 Days,
etc.), a specific date range, or all the analytics gathered since the
media entry’s creation. This menu also allows you to compare the
analytics in the date range you selected with another date range.
- Highlights: High level analytic data on the usage of media in your course including:
Player Impressions: The number of times the video was displayed in a page or course.
Plays: The number of times someone clicked the play button on the media entry.
Unique Viewers: The number of authenticated viewers who have played the media entry. All anonymous viewers will be counted as a single viewer. All instances where the media entry is embedded using iframe embed code are counted as anonymous viewers.
Minutes Viewed: The total number of minutes that the media entry has been viewed by all viewers.
Contributors: The number of users who have contributed media to the channel.
- Category Page Views: The number of times your channel has been viewed.
- Top Videos: A summary of the three most popular videos based on Kaltura's engagement formula. Click See Details to jump down to more detailed information on your top videos.
- Top Viewers: Top viewers based on the user's number of plays. Click See Details
to jump down to Category Performance Over Time where you can then
expand View Details to see more information on how users are viewing
your channel content.
- Insights: A summary of
Top Location, Most Viewed Domain, and Most Popular Device. Click See
Details on each window to jump to a more detailed examination of that
- Category Performance Over Time: Displays a graph of the following selectable analytics:
Number of player impressions per day or month
Number of plays per day or month
Unique viewers per day or month
Minutes viewed per day or month
Average completion rate per day or month
Average drop off rate per day or month
Clicking View Details displays a table of information on Users, Entries, or Dates pertaining to the selected category above.
- Top Videos: A table ranking your channel's most popular videos based on Kaltura's engagement formula. The table includes columns for plays, unique viewers, average completion, and score. The score is based on Kaltura's engagement formula.
- Top Countries: The Top Countries panel ranks the geographical distribution by plays. The heatmap shows the countries, the darker the shade, the more plays for that country. The table ranks the countries by plays and also shows plays distribution compared to total number of plays. You can drill down to region by selecting a country on the map or from the table. Select a region to drill down to cities.
- Devices Overview: The Devices Overview displays the distribution of devices usage by plays. You can see on which device viewers watched the entry.
- Top Domains:
The top domains panel requires some technical knowledge of what the
domains listed are to interpret. Fore example 1660902-6.kaf.kaltura.com is the primary domain that serves Kaltura content to UW-Madison Canvas courses. The top domains are ordered by domains
that had the most number of plays in the selected time frame. For each
domain the following metrics are available:
Player impressions: The number of times the media entry was loaded from that domain
Player impression ratio: The number of plays divided by number of impressions for that domain
Plays: The number of times the media entry was played from that domain
Plays distribution: The number of plays for that domain divided by the total number of plays in the selected timeframe
Minutes viewed: The total number of minutes of views for that media entry for that domain
Average completion rate: Measured by viewer reaching playback quartiles