Topics Map > Kaltura
Topics Map > Canvas
Canvas - Creating Video Assignments Using Kaltura [UW-Madison]
- In your Canvas course, click the Assignments link.
- Click the + button to add a new assignment to the assignment group you want to create the assignment in:
- The Add Assignment to ... dialog box will display. Click More Options to expand the Assignment page:
- The Create new assignment page is displayed.
- In the Assignment Name text box, type the name of your assignment.
- In the text box, type the assignment instructions. Use the Rich Content Editor to add images, text, links, or insert media.
It may be helpful in your description to provide a link to these instructions that show a student how to submit a video assignment in Canvas via Kaltura: Canvas - Submitting a Video Assignment Using Kaltura (Student) [UW-Madison] .
- In the Points text box, type the highest grade students can receive.
- In the Assignment Group drop-down list, select the group for the assignment:
- In the Submission Type drop-down list, select Online:
- For the Online submission type, select Text Entry in the online entry options. Text Entry uses the Rich Content Editor which has Kaltura as a media tool as described in Canvas - Upload and Embed a New Kaltura Mediaspace Video in a Canvas Page [UW-Madison].
The option Media Recordings uploads media (video/audio) into your Canvas course which has a different feature set from Kaltura and limits uploads to 500MB or smaller. Information on creating assignments using media recordings is available in Instructure's documentation as is information on student submission of assignments using that tool. Kaltura media assignments do not have the file size limitation. Students can either record new media or upload existing media.
- Select the due date and the available from and until dates.
- Click the Save & Publish button when you are done.
- Your saved video assignment will now be displayed.
- To add a rubric, click the +Rubric button if needed.
- Speedgrader is available to view each student completed video and to add grades and comments.
- Your students will now be able to select this video assignment to upload their video work. If you would like to send instructions to your students to help them submit their assignment please see Canvas - Submitting a Video Assignment Using Kaltura (Student) [UW-Madison]