Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Kaltura
Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Canvas
Canvas - How to add or embed a video in your Canvas course using Kaltura Media (UW-Madison)
This documents provides provides Canvas users with instructions on how to embed media into Canvas pages, discussion posts, and quiz descriptions using Kaltura media - anywhere the Canvas rich text editor allows for the creation of content.
Kaltura media can be embedded wherever Canvas allows you to use the rich content editor. Embedding Kaltura media in a Canvas Page or other Canvas tool is generally how we recommend instructors include media in a course at UW-Madison. Embedded media provides more context and keeps the student in Canvas rather than sending them to an external link outside of Canvas.
- In your Canvas course, go to the Canvas page, discussion post, or quiz discussion you want to embed Kaltura media in. Click Edit.
- Move your cursor to the point in your Canvas item where you want to insert Kaltura media.
- Click the blue V icon to view the More External Tools menu. Select Kaltura Media from the drop-down list:
- A window titled Kaltura Media will open showing the media content associated with your Kaltura account. By default it is on the My Media tab. If you are using a course media gallery, first select the
media gallery by clicking on the Media Galleries drop-down menu at the top of the screen and clicking on your media gallery. These directions assume you
select a media entry from My Media. More information on using media galleries is available in Kaltura - Using Kaltura course media galleries and analytics in Canvas .
- Scroll to or search for the media you want to embed. Click the </> Embed button next the media you want to embed:
Optional: If you would like to customize how your media is embedded in Canvas, instead of clicking the </> Embed button, click the gear button:
An Embed Settings window will display:
- Choose Player: Users can now choose between the "Main Player" and the "Main Player with Download Button" if they want users to be able to download the media file locally to their computer.
- Max Embed Size: Users can choose how large the media is displayed within the Canvas rich content editor.
- Thumbnail Embed: Turning thumbnail embed on renders an image that will display instead of the video player. The student needs to click on the image to load the player. Generally we recommend keeping this option turned off.
- Auto Play: Turning auto play on plays the media immediately when the student loads the page with the embedded media. We recommend you keep auto play off and let the student choose to play the media by clicking the "Play" button.
- Set as my default settings for media type: Video (or Audio, or Image): If you like the settings you have selected you can check this box to make future embeds use them without having to set them every time.
Some users have reported that this feature does not actually allow them to set the embed settings as their default.
- Start at: Set the start time for the media item.
- End at: Set the end time for the media item.
- </> Embed: When you have set the options you want, click the </> Embed button to embed the media.
- The video will show up on your Canvas page. You can continue to edit the page and add text if you'd like. Once you're done click the Save button.
- Canvas will display your page with your embedded Kaltura video.