Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Canvas
Engage - Benefits of Using Engage
This document outlines some of the benefits of Engage eTexts.
- Purchased directly from the publisher, eliminating third-party distributors and bookstores, and the associated retail markups:
- Priced significantly lower due to Unizin’s ability to negotiate volume discounts directly with publishers
- Easy for instructors to search for and order titles, and to request new editions or titles
- No outdated editions, or used or partial books
- No comparison shopping or trip to the bookstore is required - just enroll in class
- Possibilities for new and creative approaches to teaching and learning:
- Exact same text from the same authors and publishers – including charts, graphs, pictures, etc. - can be annotated by students and instructors
- Additional Digital Learning Tools (DLTs) from publishers are integrated into the Canvas course page
- Flexible, allowing instructors to add additional, external content, including ability to upload Open Educational Resources (OER) in PDF format
- Access through Canvas – no need for multiple apps or logins:
- A single, easy-to-use reading platform, Engage is available for stand-alone texts, regardless of publisher or product
- eText available to your students on or before the first day of class
- No restrictions for international students
- Cost-effective and convenient for students:
- Costs can be covered by all forms of financial aid because the appropriate eText fees are added to your Bursar bill when you enroll
- Environmentally friendly
- Support is available from UW-Madison. For support questions, please contact the DoIT Help Desk:
- Phone: 608-264-4357
- Chat: link
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
If Help Desk staff are unable to resolve your issue, they will escalate your issue to the appropriate consultants. Instructors using Engage will also be given access to a Canvas course which will include additional helpful information.
If you are using publisher Digital Learning Tools (DLTs) like Pearson Mastering Physics and MyLab or Cengage MindTap, support is provided directly from the publisher. More information on where to get DLT support is available in this KB doc next to the publisher name under "Who Provides Support".
- More information is also available on the Academic Technology's Engage webpage.