Topics Map > Campus Services > WiscWeb CMS
WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Finding and Editing the Excerpt of a Page
This document will walk you through the process of finding and editing the excerpt of a page so that the meta description that appears in search results and in social media describes your content most effectively.
Finding and Editing the Excerpt on a Page
- Log in to WiscWeb and choose Pages.
- Select a page that you would like to edit the excerpt for.
- At the top right corner of the page, click the drop down for Screen Options.
- Check the box for Excerpt (this will either make it visible on your page builder view, or you can confirm that it is currently visible).
- Scroll down your page builder view until you find the Excerpt field.
- Edit as needed. Make sure the excerpt is written in a way that makes it obvious to a user what the page is about.
- Update the page.
- The excerpt will be auto-generated if you leave this field blank for Pages.
- The information saved in the excerpt will appear as a meta description for the page in search results and in social media.
- This setting is not available by default but once set, it will always show up for your view.
- The excerpt can be updated for use in various WordPress and UW Theme functions like page elements, plugins, pages, and posts.
- Excerpts should be concise descriptions that make it clear to the user what kind of information they can find on that page.