Topics Map > Campus Services > My UW-Madison
NetID - Changing Your NetID
This document explains the policy for having a NetID changed.
A NetID change could theoretically cause temporary loss of access to campus services, or even data loss. As we become aware of services that are negatively impacted by NetID changes we will document them here.
NetIDs may be changed in a variety of circumstances. You may request a NetID change if you meet any of the criteria below.
- Your legal name has changed. To have your legal name changed, follow the instructions below.
Students: Complete the steps in the Student Name Change Form.
Faculty and staff: Contact your department's HR or payroll staff.
Emeritus, retirees, and other NetID holders: Contact the human resources office of your sponsoring department or the Office of Human Resources at (608) 265-2257.
Your NetID may only be changed after your name change is completed. You can confirm your name has been changed in the UW Directory.
Note: If you are looking to change your Office 365 email address to reflect a legal name change, this can be done regardless of whether or not you change your NetID. For more information, see Office 365 - Reserve or change your email@example.com address.
- Your NetID is considered commonly offensive.
- Your NetID contains the #1 as it is often confused with the letter L.
To request a NetID change, you must call the DoIT Help Desk.
Your New NetID
- Your new NetID will be computer-generated based on official University records. We cannot accomodate requests.
- NetID changes take approximately 2-3 business days.
- You will be called after the NetID change has been completed.
- If there are any issues preventing your NetID change, you will be contacted.
- If your email address changes, your old email address will permanently forward to your new address.