Topics Map > Campus Services > My UW-Madison
NetID - Changing Your NetID
This document explains the policy for having a NetID changed.
Your NetID is computer-generated based on official University records. Typically your NetID is generated by some combination of your first, middle and last name. Each NetID is unique and associated with only one individual. When you leave the University your NetID is made inactive and reserved for you if you return. For this reason restrictions have been placed on when your NetID can be changed. The following are acceptable circumstances for requesting a change to your NetID:
- A legal name change.
If you are a student and meet the above requirements, fill out and submit the student name change declaration form to the Office of the Registrar according to the instruction on that form.
If you are faculty or staff and meet the above requirements, contact your department payroll staff to have your name changed in your personnel record.
If you are a retiree or member of another group holding special authorization status, contact the human resources office of the department sponsoring that status or the campus Office of Human Resources at (608) 265-2257.
After your name has been changed, see Get Help from DoIT to initiate your NetID change. The easiest way to verify that the name has been changed is to search the University directory at http://www.wisc.edu/directories/ using the new name.
- The generated NetID is considered "commonly offensive. "
- If the NetID contains the #1 as it is often confused with the letter L.
Student, faculty, and staff should see Get Help from DoIT to initiate your NetID change.
Note: Your new NetID will be computer-generated based on official University records. Requests will not be considered.
- NetID changes take approximately 2-3 business days.
- Customers will be called after the NetID change has occurred.
- Customers will be informed by email if any problems are encountered during the attempt to change the NetID.
- The email address associated with the old NetID will forward to the email address associated with the new NetID indefinitely.