Topics Map > Campus Services > NetID Login Service
NetID - Changing a Password
This document provides a step-by-step walkthrough of changing your NetID password. If you do not know your current NetID password and need to recover it please see: NetID - Recovering a NetID Password
It is strongly recommended that:
- Passwords are changed twice per year (e.g., when clocks are adjusted in the spring and fall)
- Each password chosen is new and different
To change your current NetID password:
- Navigate to https://www.mynetid.wisc.edu/modify and login with your current NetID and password.
- Scroll down the page until you reach the section labeled CHANGE YOUR NETID PASSWORD
- Enter your new password making sure to follow the password requirements listed above.
- Re-enter your password on the next line to confirm.
- Under the section labeled SET RECOVERY EMAIL, if "Recovery Email" is blank, enter your personal (example @gmail.com, @hotmail.com) email address.
- Scroll down to the section labeled SET RECOVERY QUESTIONS
- It is highly recommended that you configure your recovery questions. In the event that you forget your NetID or password, these questions can be used to recover your account.
- Press the button labeled Set Password and/or Questions.
Important: Following this change you will need to update any saved passwords on your web browsers, e-mail clients, and other places that you have stored your NetID credentials.
For more information on UW-Madison's Password Standards see: https://kb.wisc.edu/itpolicy/cio-password-policy