IT Policy Activity, Mar 2019
Posted: 09:00:00, Monday, Feb 25, 2019 Expiration: 19:00:00, Thursday, Mar 28, 2019
The itpolicy-announce list communicates policy changes and opportunities to participate in development. Anyone may join by sending a blank email to email@example.com.
- Published on 02/28.
Opportunities to help shape IT policy
Of particular note during the 2018-2019 academic year:
A Continuous Diagnostics and Mitigation implementation plan is under development. It includes such things as: IT asset inventory management of both hardware and software, endpoint management, endpoint security, network monitoring, vulnerability scanning, firewall management, security information and event management (SIEM), account privilege management, incident reporting and response, encryption, and mobile device management (MDM).
IT Credentials Policy and standards are under development. The policy will incorporate new and existing standards including such things as: identity assurance, authentication assurance, federated assurance, password standard, multi-factor authentication, and the appropriate use of credentials and access control services.
Several policies and standards are under review and revision in Spring of 2019:
- Access Control Services Policy and Standard (under IT Credentials Policy)
- Email Server Policy (will probably be retired)
- Guest NetID Policy (under IT Credentials Policy)
- IP version 4 Allocation Policy (being evaluated for possible retirement)
- NetID Appropriate Use Standard (under IT Credentials Policy)
- Password Policy and Standard (under IT Credentials Policy)
- UDS Responsible Use Policy (under IT Credentials Policy)
- For a more in depth presentation of major policy initiatives, please see: IT policies under development or revision
- To comment, or otherwise get involved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New / Revised Documents
No changes in February 2019.
- Please see the Last Reviewed / Revised List for earlier activity.
- For questions or comments, please email email@example.com.
Endorsement / Approval Pending
The IT Policy Principles and Procedures were approved by the Information Technology Committee at their March 15 meeting.
To comment, or suggest additional documents that need to be developed or revised, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forums / Events
The next IT Policy Forum will be Apr 23, 1:00-2:30, Rm 3139 CS.
Topic: IT Asset Inventory Management.
To comment, or suggest future topics, please email email@example.com.
Teams / Governance
Fri, Mar 15, 10:00-12:00, Room 3139 CS.
- Continued discussion of the IT Policy Principles and Procedures. A vote on approval is anticipated.
The Information Technology Committee is the faculty advisory body for policy and planning for information technology throughout the university. It is composed of faculty, academic staff and students.
Policy Planning & Analysis Team (PAT) and its subcommittees
- Discussion of draft Learning Analytics Data Use Guidelines.
- Discussion of the draft development plan for IT Asset Inventory Management Policy Implementation.
The PAT is a subcommittee of ITC. Please see the PAT meeting schedule.
Communications Subcommittee (ongoing): Communications of policy development and published IT policies, including IT Policy Forums, the IT Policy Knowledgebase, and policy-related web pages on it.wisc.edu. Please see the PAT Communications Meeting Schedule.
You are welcome to attend any of these meetings. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
-- IT Policy: GARY DE CLUTE
Created: 03:09:13, Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 (by GARY D.)
Updated: 12:43:09, Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 (by GARY D.)