IT Policy Activity, Apr 2019
Posted: 08:38:13, Tuesday, Mar 26, 2019 Expiration: 17:38:13, Thursday, Apr 25, 2019
The itpolicy-announce list communicates policy changes and opportunities to participate in development. Anyone may join by sending a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Published on 03/28.
Opportunities to help shape IT policy
Of particular note during the 2018-2019 academic year:
A Continuous Diagnostics and Mitigation implementation plan is under development. It includes such things as: IT asset inventory management of both hardware and software, endpoint management, endpoint security, network monitoring, vulnerability scanning, firewall management, security information and event management (SIEM), account privilege management, incident reporting and response, encryption, and mobile device management (MDM). The CDM Advisory Group has been formed.
IT Credentials Policy and standards are under development. The policy will incorporate new and existing standards including such things as: identity assurance, authentication assurance, federated assurance, password standard, multi-factor authentication, and the appropriate use of credentials and access control services. A Credentials Drafting Team has been formed.
Several policies and standards are under review and revision in Spring of 2019:
- Access Control Services Policy and Standard (under IT Credentials Policy)
- Email Server Policy (will probably be retired)
- IP version 4 Allocation Policy (being evaluated for possible retirement)
- NetID Appropriate Use Standard (under IT Credentials Policy)
- Password Policy and Standard (under IT Credentials Policy)
- UDS Responsible Use Policy (under IT Credentials Policy)
- For a more in depth presentation of major policy initiatives, please see: IT policies under development or revision
- To comment, or otherwise get involved, please email email@example.com.
New / Revised Documents
The Guest NetID Policy was revised to improve readability and update terminology. There was no substantive change in requirements.
- Please see the Last Reviewed / Revised List for earlier activity.
- For questions or comments, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Endorsement / Approval Pending
There are currently no documents in the endorsement or approval process.
To comment, or suggest additional documents that need to be developed or revised, please email email@example.com.
Forums / Events
The next IT Policy Forum will be Apr 23, 1:00-2:30, Rm 3139 CS.
Topic: IT Asset Inventory Management.
Please note the change in time and location.
To comment, or suggest future topics, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teams / Governance
Fri, Apr 19, 10:00-12:00, Room 3139 CS.
The Information Technology Committee is the faculty advisory body for policy and planning for information technology throughout the university. It is composed of faculty, academic staff and students.
Policy Planning & Analysis Team (PAT) and its subcommittees
- Policy Review and Revision Procedures.
The PAT is a subcommittee of ITC. Please see the PAT meeting schedule.
Communications Subcommittee (ongoing): Communications of policy development and published IT policies, including IT Policy Forums, the IT Policy Knowledgebase, and policy-related web pages on it.wisc.edu. Please see the PAT Communications Meeting Schedule.
You are welcome to attend any of these meetings. For more information please contact email@example.com.
-- IT Policy: GARY DE CLUTE
Created: 01:38:13, Monday, Mar 25, 2019 (by GARY D.)
Updated: 15:57:29, Monday, Apr 22, 2019 (by GARY D.)