Topics Map > Budget & Finance > Gifts & Trust
Topics Map > Research > Extramural Support > Gifts

L&S Gift Management: How to support a student organization

This document describes how an L&S department/program can support a registered UW-Madison student organization. Step-by-step instructions are provided. This document includes a link to the form: Five Questions for Student Organizations.

Background: Supporting Registered Student Organizations

L&S departments/programs may support registered student organizations with UW Foundation funding.

233 projects may not be used; the funds need to come directly from UW foundation via a check request to the student organization. This keeps student organization activity distinct from UW activity, and gives the members of the student organization experience in handling their own financial affairs.

Additional resources and policies, including allowable expenses, is explained on the following website: Student Organization Resource & Policy Guide

Process: Payments to Registered Student Organizations

Payments are done with a check request by ACH only (i.e., no physical checks).  The routing number and account number for the student organization financial institution will need to be provided on the "Five question document".

  • Check that the student org is registered with UW-Madison:
  • Create a UW Foundation (UWF) disbursement request payable to the student organization in the amount of support that the department currently wishes to give.
    • Use the UW Foundation Disbursement Form.
    • Login, click on Fund Management in red navigation bar, then select "Disbursement request" from the pull down menu.
    • Note: the disbursement request form requires an address even though it will be sent via ACH.
  • Complete the Five Question document. The department or the student organization can fill out the form.
  • Email the check request and five question document to
  • After the form is approved, it will take 1-2 weeks for UWF to process the ACH transfer.

L&S Budget Office Contacts

Questions about this policy of providing support to student organizations should be directed to Jana Valeo in the L&S Budget Office, or

Questions on allowable expenses or other policy related questions should be directed the Center for Leadership & Involvement: Student Organization Resource & Policy Guide – UW–Madison ( or call 608-263-0365.

KeywordsStudent organization, support student organization, student org, registered student organization   Doc ID46455
OwnerAmanda M.GroupL&S KB
Created2015-01-27 10:34:10Updated2024-04-29 09:02:47
SitesL&S KB
Feedback  0   1