Effective January 2018, individuals who leave the University will begin a deactivation process that may change their access to the following services:Affected IT Services
- Office 365
- G Suite
Why is my access changing?
Your affiliation with the University determines your access to the IT services listed above. Please see the table below to learn more.
|Emeriti||HR updated your status from former employee to emeritus||Reduced to email, calendar, contacts, and tasks only
- Lose access to web and desktop apps
If your HR department does not update their records to indicate you have emeritus status, you will lose access to the services listed above.
If you applied for emeritus status, waiting for your affiliation to change, and still receive service-based deactivation notifications, please contact your former HR department or the Office of Human Resources for further assistance.
When will I lose access?
View the service-based deactivation timeline to see when your access will change.
What should I do next?
Step 1: You are encouraged to classify data that you created into two categories:
Personal data: You can keep this data and will need to backup files before losing access to your account.
University data: You will need to transfer ownership of this data to designated faculty/staff or to another University account.
Step 2: Once you organize your data, your next step will be to either backup or transfer ownership of that data:
|Backup personal data||Transfer ownership of University data|
- Email and Calendar: No further action is required because you will continue to have access to these services.
- Web and Desktop Apps: Office 365 - Backup OneDrive for Business data
|Office 365 - Preserving organizational data due to a position change or retirement|
|G Suite||UW-Madison G Suite - Backup your data (Optional) - No further action is required because you will continue to have access to this service.|
|Box||UW-Madison Box - Backup your data (Optional) - No further action is required because you will continue to have access to this service.||Box - Transferring Folder Ownership|
|Qualtrics||Qualtrics Survey Hosting - Backup your data (Optional) - No further action is required because you will continue to have access to this service.||Qualtrics Survey Hosting - Transfer ownership of your survey|
Important Note: Once your appointment or student status changes, you will lose access to OneDrive and your license for Outlook desktop client will expire approximately 25 days after the change.
- Help Desk - Resources for Office 365, G Suite, Box, and Qualtrics account deactivations
- Help Desk - Deactivation Notifications for Office 365, G Suite, Box, and Qualtrics
- Help Desk (Retiree with IT Services) - Steps to take before your access to Office 365, G Suite, Box, and Qualtrics changes
- Privileges for UW-Madison Retirees and Emeriti
- UW-Madison Retirement Association - Guide to Emeritus Status