SIS/Building Your Schedule of Classes - Update Sections of a Class
This document outlines how to access the Update Sections of a Class page, and what you can do on that page.
The Update Sections of a Class page provides an easy place to work with all the sections of a course. In Update Sections of a Class you can:
- Change or view Auto Enrollment
- Change or view Associations
- Change or view Add Consent
- Change or view enrollment capacities and current enrollment
- View open and closed sections
- Change or view Schedule to Print option
- Associations cannot be changed once enrollment has occurred in a section
- When setting up Auto Enroll, the Auto Enroll section indicated must be a non-enrollment section
- Each enrollment package has a distinct association number
- Association numbers can range from 1 - 9998
- Class Association 9999 is a wildcard
From Home, select: Curric & Enroll Rep WorkCenter, Update Sections of a Class. The Find page will display.
Tip: Menu navigation: > Curriculum Management > Schedule of Classes > Update Sections of a Class.
Use the Find page to locate the desired course.
Change any of the fields as appropriate:
Note: Usually only one component type will be the Enrollment Section. You cannot change once someone is enrolled.
This field is view only. You will see these values:
Tip: To cancel a section use Maintain Schedule of Classes.
- ‘A’ for Active Section
- ‘X’ for Canceled Section
Update associations as appropriate. Match association numbers with section numbers whenever possible. If you receive an error message when trying to make the lecture Assoc. 9999, contact Curricular Services to change the graded component.
Note: You cannot change if someone is enrolled.
|Auto Enrl 1
Use if 2 different types of components and auto enrollment are desired. Auto Enroll must be placed on oEnrollment section. All sections in an auto enroll must be in the same Associated Class or one section must be ‘9999’ Associated Class.’
- Determine which non-enrollment section number is part of the enrollment package and should be auto enrolled.
- Place that non-enrollment section number in the Auto Enrl 1 field for the enrollment section.
Students will be enrolled in both sections.
|Auto Enrl 2
Use if 3 different types of Components and auto enrollment are desired. Auto Enroll must be placed on enrollment section. All sections in an auto enroll must be in the same Associated Class or one section must be a ‘9999’ Associated Class.
- Determine which non-enrollment section numbers are parts of the enrollment package and should be auto enrolled.
- Place the lowest non-enrollment section number in the Auto Enrl 1 field for the enrollment section
- Place the highest non-enrollment section number in the Auto Enrl 2 field for the enrollment section.
Students will be enrolled in all three sections
||UW-Madison does not use.
‘D’ for Department Consent Required
‘I’ for Instructor Consent Required
‘N’ for No Special Consent Required
||UW-Madison does not use this field. It displays ‘N’ for No Special Consent Required.
||If checked, section will display in Course Search & Enroll app.
Important Note: When changing Class Type or Association, if any Auto Enroll is indicated, remove the Auto Enroll data and save the changes. Then proceed to make changes, in this order, Class Type, Association, and Auto Enroll. This can only be done if no enrollment!
Select |Class Enrollment Limits| page tab.
Change any of the needed fields:
Enter enrollment capacity in Enrl Cap.
Note: Remember to change all impacted sections. Close a section by typing a ‘0’ in Enrl Cap.
Before you increase an enrollment cap, you should know how many seats are in the classroom (meetings tab)
Enter wait list capacity in Wait Cap.
Note: Remember to change all impacted sections. Turn off wait list by typing a ‘0’ in Wait Cap.
||UW-Madison does not use this field.
||This link only displays on combined sections. Select this link to see Combined Sections detail. Use [Return] to get back to Update Sections of a Class.