Topics Map > Course Search & Enroll
Topics Map > Enrollment
Course Search & Enroll - Wait Lists
This document displays a step by step process for a student to add a course to their Wait List
Many sections are set up to have a wait list when they become full. If you really want to take that class, add yourself to the wait list. If a seat becomes available (when someone drops the class or if the department adds seats), you may be able to enroll from the wait list.
These sections are marked with an warning orange triangle in the section detail.
1. Search for the class.
2. Open the section details for the wait-listed section.
3. Select "Wait list me if course is full when I enroll".
4. Save Course to cart.
5. In the cart, select the class and enroll (or you can enroll in all the classes in your cart at once).
6. If the class is still full, you will be added to its wait list. If a seat is open at the moment you enrolled, you will be officially enrolled in the class.
7. Review your Wait list in the My Courses tab to confirm that you have successfully joined the wait list for the correct section.
Seats and the sections panel of a classAfter you have searched for the class in the Search tab and found a course, open the sections panel.
check_circle Open: real-time count of seats still available.
warning Wait list: class full, but has a wait list.
report Closed: class full.
Search and view only open and/or wait list seats. — You can change which sections will show by changing Section filters: in the sections panel.
The main search panel also has filters for showing available seats.
Open the section detailSelect the tiny arrow on the right side of the section’s row.
Sections with open seats will show how many remain:
Two checkboxesSelect checkboxes for both the section that you want and also "Wait list me if course is full when I enroll".
- You can use the "Waitlist me if course is full when I enroll" checkbox on sections with open seats, too.
If that open section has only a few seats remaining, and it is a busy enrollment time, you will be added to that section’s wait list (if it has one) if the course is full by the time you actually enroll.
The enrollment system will confirm that you are eligible for this class. Resolve any validation messages or errors, select the class and enroll: Course Search & Enroll - Add & Enroll in Classes.
- Although you have followed the “enroll” process, you are not yet enrolled in the class—only added to a wait list. Read below for how to enroll in your wait-listed class.
Your list of wait listsConfirm that this class is now showing in the “Wait list” list in the My Courses tab.
Students aren’t able to find out “where they are” on a wait list or how long it might take to be notified of an open spot. These things vary from class to class. Check with your advisor about other classes to consider, or how to manage your enrollment, if you want a plan in case you aren’t able to ultimately enroll in this class.
How many wait lists can you be on?Undergraduate students can be on up to 18 credits of wait-listed classes in the Fall and Spring terms, and up to 12 credits of wait-listed classes in Summer term. Enrolled credits do not count against the maximum number of wait-listed credits.
Graduate students (not yet in dissertator status) can be on up to 15 credits of wait-listed classes in the Fall and Spring terms, and up to 12 credits of wait-listed classes in Summer term. Enrolled credits do not count against the maximum number of wait-listed credits.
Other types of students also follow the maximum number of enrolled credits allowed for their program.
The department has set up a special permission that will allow you to enroll in the class. Your permission in the enrollment system expires after the deadline given in the email. This allows the department to offer the class to another student on the wait list, if you choose not to enroll.
1. Before the deadline time noted in the email (usually two full days after your notification email was sent), go to your assignment Wait list in the My Courses tab.
2. Select the checkbox for the class.
3. Select the “Enroll” button.
4. Review your Enrolled list on the “My Courses” tab to confirm that you have successfully enrolled in the correct section.
On the wait list for a class you no longer wish to take? Remove the class from your assignment Wait list. This helps other students on the wait list get into the class faster.