Topics Map > Office of the Secretary of the Faculty > Faculty Senate > University Committee
University Committee Meeting Minutes 2014-04-28
University Committee Meeting Minutes
approved May 5, 2014
April 28, 2014
Present: Bernard-Donals, Cook, Farrar Edwards, Fair, Meyerand, Petty
The meeting was called to order at 1:00 p.m.
1. Minutes of the meeting of April 21, 2014 (Document 130487) open session were approved. Minutes of the closed session were approved as amended. Grant raised the question of whether formal minutes of closed sessions were required. Bill will look into the question.
2. Updates and Announcements
UC representation at search meetings for Director of Housing were determined as follows: April 30 Dorothy; May 2 Jo Ellen; May 7 Dorothy ; May 8 Beth; May 9 Grant.
3. Darrell Bazzell, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration discussed budgetary implications associated with the UC recommendation to create the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education position and the separate Dean of the Graduate School position. In particular, separate budgets for each position, start-up packages and costs, and revenue streams outside the WARF gift were explored. It was agreed that the WARF gift would not be touched.
Research and Sponsored Programs was also discussed. Darrell noted that we are an unusual institution compared to most other institutions where RSPs are located within the research enterprise. Darrell indicated that he would be open to looking at ways to strengthen post-award portion of RSP.
4. VCR/DGS—University Committee continued its work on formulating their recommendations that will be presented to the Senate May 5, 2014. Also, they discussed ways of presenting the material and answering questions that Senators may be pose.
5. Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff Steve Stern offered his last update before he retires. He discussed the status of various salary-related and diversity-related programs both launched and continued during his tenure as Vice Provost. He also discussed issues that might be taken up when the new Provost and Vice Provost come on board. He especially noted the need to strengthen dual career hires.
Members offered their sincere thanks for all of the work Steve had done during his time as Vice Provost.
6. Interim Dean of International Studies and Vice Provost for Globalization Guido Podestá had planned to meet with the UC to discuss the process of forming an advisor board for the new Dean of International Studies. However, there are issues that have not been fully resolved regarding the Dean’s portfolio of programs. He reported that once these issues were resolved, he would be in a better position to return to the UC to discuss the advisory board.
7. Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) the meeting moved into closed session to discuss personnel matters at 4:00 p.m.
8. The meeting reconvened in open session at 4:30 p.m.
9. Interim VCR and Graduate of the Graduate School Dean Martin Cadwallader met with the UC to discuss various aspects of Graduate School functioning. He explained how divisional representation operates including the divisional associate deans role in research committees and awards; how the WARF gift is obtained. He noted how the Associate Dean for Graduate Education position has grown in importance over the years.
The agenda for tomorrow’s special meeting (4/29) was briefly discussed.
The meeting adjourned at 5:30 p.m.
William A. Heiss, M.S.S.W.
Interim Secretary of the Faculty