Topics Map > Office of the Secretary of the Faculty > Faculty Senate > University Committee

University Committee Meeting Minutes 2019-03-11

University Committee Meeting Minutes

Minutes approved 03/25/2019
Approved Minutes for March 11, 2019          Approved March 25, 2019, as amended

UC members present: Amasino (chair), Bowers, Campagnola, Ventura, Warfield, Wolf
Others present (in addition to those listed below): S. Smith, J. Richard, M. Felber, J. Smith, H. Daniels, M. Mayrl, C. Springer, M. Bernard-Donals

Chair Rick Amasino called the meeting to order at 1:15 p.m. Terry Warfield reported on the Board of Regents meeting (fairly uneventful) and the faculty reps meeting (it appears that campus concerns about the draft policy on monitoring programs for productivity will be addressed in the next iteration). Following the latter, the Systemwide TTC advisor group had its first meeting, which had little to do with faculty. Kirsten Wolf reported on the most recent URC meeting, at which there was a unanimous vote in favor of creating a Data Science Institute. The University Committee decided to cancel its March 18 meeting, which falls during Spring Break when some members and all potential guests will be traveling. The minutes of the meetings of February 25, 2019, and March 4, 2019, were approved, the latter with cosmetic changes. On behalf of PROFS, Michelle Felber reported on a recent meeting with Regent Atwell, provided a brief update on the governor’s capital budget, and updated the UC on other activities. Budget forum slated for noon on April 2nd; details forthcoming.
The UC discussed the recording of presentations by finalists for high-level positions, particularly the pros and cons of recording the Q&A that follows such presentations. Traditionally, for a variety of logistical reasons, the Q&A has not been recorded. Director of Administrative Searches Carole Kolb pointed out that there are technical issues that would have to be addressed, including picking up sound, acoustics, and processing time for recordings. Kolb also expressed some concern that there would be a disincentive to attend if the whole event were recorded. Following ample discussion of these and other issues, the UC leaned towards making a recommendation to record Q&As, perhaps mediated by written questions, which were seen as having a number of benefits. At its next meeting the UC will consider whether to make a statement/recommendation to that effect.
Terry Warfield moved to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c) and (f) to discuss personnel matters. The motion was seconded and passed at 1:40 p.m. The UC conducted interviews (two in person and one via phone) with candidates for the Athletic Board. The committee recommended one renewal and one new appointee to the chancellor. The committee brainstormed possible names for a Title IX advisory committee, but requested a list of people with related experience from the OSOF prior to making a decision. The UC approved two tenure clock extensions, one for one year and the other for one semester connected to a partial leave. Warfield moved to reconvene in open session. The motion was seconded and approved at 3:15 p.m. Chancellor Becky Blank gave a brief report on recent and upcoming meetings and events, which was followed by a modicum of discussion.
The University Committee discussed the proposed Academic Staff titles (Professor of Practice, Teaching Professor, Research Professor) at length, based on feedback at and following the March Faculty Senate meeting. All present agreed that each of three titles should be in its own, separate resolution and that all three should be as straightforward and simple as possible in terms of their “RESOLVED” clauses, moving all background and discussion into “WHEREAS” clauses. UC will review drafts at March 25th meeting. General agreement, with some equivocation, that the “assistant” prefix should be included on the Research Professor title. The UC also discussed the Division of Extension academic structure proposal and administrative integration at length. Steve Ventura summarized the proposal and recent developments. All present felt that there are a number of items about which it is now timely for the UC to express an opinion, including the timeline for hiring Extension leadership and the anomalous administrative structure associated thereto. UC will consider a draft statement at its next meeting about impact on faculty. Amasino adjourned the meeting at 3:58 p.m.

KeywordsUniversity committee   Doc ID90746
OwnerGideon E.GroupUW Secretary of the Faculty
Created2019-03-29 14:48:19Updated2022-07-18 16:32:17
SitesUW Secretary of the Faculty
Feedback  0   0