ECMS - Install and Configure Perceptive Content Desktop Client (Imaging)
This document explains how to locate the Perceptive Content Desktop Client executable (.exe) file from UW Box and download it to your Windows' computer so you can install the most current version of imaging software. After installing the desktop client, this document also describes what you need to do post-installation, regarding configuring the ImageNow Printer, and verifying that your custom Capture Profiles are displaying properly.
Install and Configure Perceptive Content Desktop Client Version 7.2.295.
Follow the steps below to install and configure the Perceptive Content Desktop Client version 7.2.295 on a Windows machine. The steps to install and configure the version 7.2.295 client are fundamentally the same as previous versions of the client.
- Click on the following link to go directly to UW Box and display the most current Client Setup executable (.exe) file to download: https://uwmadison.box.com/s/tgeec2i6kh1zb6btsbtkyr9pbnoro3jx
- In UW Box, the ClientSetup_7.2.295_July_2017.exe.rename file displays. Click the Download button.
- Go to your computer's Downloads directory, and locate the file named ClientSetup_7.2.295_July_2017.exe.
a. Right-click to display a quick menu of options.
b. From the quick menu, select Rename.
- With the ClientSetup_7.2.295_July_2017.exe.rename file name highlighted, delete the .rename portion of the name so that the file is renamed to ClientSetup_7.2.295_July 2017.exe on your computer, and press the Enter key.
- A Rename warning dialog box displays, asking whether you are sure you want to change the file name extension. Click Yes to continue.
- The renamed file ClientSetup_7.2.295_July_2017.exe displays in your Downloads directory on your computer.
- Right-click on the new, renamed ClientSetup_7.2.295_July_2017.exe file to display a quick menu of options. From the quick menu, select Run as administrator.
- If you see a User Account Control dialog box displaying the warning message, Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer, select Yes to continue.
- The Perceptive Content Desktop Client - InstallShield Wizard dialog box displays, asking you to select the language for the installation. Click OK to continue.
- The Perceptive Content Desktop Client - InstallShield Wizard dialog box displays a message that it is preparing the InstallShield Wizard to guide you through the program setup process, and to please wait.
- The Perceptive Content Desktop Client, Installation Wizard launches and displays a Welcome screen. Note: If you are upgrading from a previous version of Perceptive Content Desktop Client, the Welcome screen allows you to modify, repair or remove Perceptive Content Desktop Client. Click Next to continue.
- If you are installing for the first time, a License Agreement dialog box displays. Scroll to the end of the license agreement, and select option for I accept the terms in the license agreement. Click Next to continue.
- The Custom Setup dialog box displays, asking you to select the program features you want installed.
a. Select all of the available features for local installation.
b. If you see a red X next to one of the feature names (e.g. ImageNow Printer), it means that feature will not be installed, unless you choose otherwise.
c. Click Next to continue.
- If you are installing Perceptive Content Desktop Client for the first time, the Default Connection Profile dialog box displays a DefaultProfile for Profile name and Server name that you need to change. Changing the DefaultProfile allows you to connect to one or more UW-Madison Perceptive Content servers (e.g. Production, Development, Test, Schema). Note: The Port number field defaults to 6000, and does not need to be changed.
Refer to the table below for guidance on entering information to connect to the desired UW-Madison Perceptive Content server environment:
- After completing information in the Default Connection Profile dialog box, click Next to continue.
- If the Installation Wizard displays the Perceptive Enterprise Deployment Server dialog box, enter the following information in the Deployment Server URL field: http://deploy.imaging.services.wisc.edu:8080/pedserver. Click Next to continue.
- The Installation Wizard displays the Perceptive Content Shortcuts dialog box. By default, all shortcuts are selected. Deselect items, if desired. Click Next to continue.
- The Ready to Install the Program dialog box displays. Click the Install button to begin the installation.
- The Installing Perceptive Content Desktop Client dialog box displays a message that the program features you selected are being installed and to please wait.
Possible Messages Displayed During Installation:
- If you are upgrading from a previous version of the Perceptive Content Desktop client, the PEDS Service Monitor may be loaded. If so, the Installation Wizard displays the Files in Use dialog box for PerceptiveSoftware.PED.ServiceMonitor.
To resolve, select the option Automatically close and attempt to restart applications, and click on the OK button to continue.
- If you are upgrading from a previous version of Perceptive Content Desktop Client, and you have the old version open and running, the Installation Wizard displays the Files in Use dialog box for ImageNow Full Client (Process ID: xxxx).
To resolve, switch to the open, active Perceptive Content Desktop client and close it, then switch back to the Installation Wizard, and click on the Retry button to continue the installation.
- When the Installation Wizard has finished installing Perceptive Content Desktop Client, the Installation Wizard Completed dialog displays. Click Finish.
Note: If you use Firefox as your default browser, an Opening ClientSetup_7.2.295_July_2017.exe.rename dialog box displays, asking whether you want to Open or Save File. Select the Save File option, and click OK to continue.
Example for Imaging Services Production Environment:
Environment Description Profile name (whatever you want) Server name (required) Port number (required) Production A real-time area where programs and software are deployed; configured to interface with campus' PeopleSoft production environment for Student Information System (SIS), formerly known as ISIS Production imaging.services.wisc.edu 6000 Development A "sandbox" area where you can try things out in a safe environment; configured to interface with campus' PeopleSoft sandbox environment for Student Information System (SIS) Sandbox imagingdev.services.wisc.edu 6000 Test A testing area where you can troubleshoot things in a safe environment; configured to interface with campus' PeopleSoft testing environment for Student Information System (SIS) Test imagingtest.services.wisc.edu 6000 Schema A development area where new work is conducted before releasing to other environments for testing. Currently not configured for interfacing with campus' Student Information System (SIS) Schema schema.imaging.services.wisc.edu 6000
- Configure the ImageNow Printer
- Verify Customized Capture Profiles Display
After installing the ImageNow Printer during the Perceptive Content v184.108.40.2065 Client installation, you need to perform additional steps to ensure the ImageNow Printer prints in color and generates document thumbnails properly. Refer to imaging KnowledgeBase document #65625, ECMS - Configuring the ImageNow Printer for detailed information. Verify Customized Capture Profiles Display
When you log into Perceptive Content Desktop Client, and click on the Capture drop-down menu, you should see the default capture profiles (e.g. Import from disk - Single mode, Import from disk - Batch mode), as well as your own Division/Department's customized capture profiles. The screenshot below shows two customized capture profiles named Applications - B&W and Fujitsu Scanner - Color, as examples.
What to Do if You Do Not See Your Customized Capture Profiles
- You or your local computer desktop support person should replace the existing inscan.xml file containing the default Perceptive Content Desktop Client capture profiles with the customized inscan.xml file containing your Division/Department specific capture profiles and settings.
Your Division/Department's customized inscan.xml file needs to be located in the following folder: %USER%\AppData\Roaming\ImageNow.
Refer to the screenshot example below for the folder location for user Bucky Badger's customized inscan.xml file.
- If you need additional technical support, please contact the Imaging Support Team at UW-Madison, Division of Information Technology (DoIT).