ECMS - Patching Update Schedule
The purpose of this document is to provide a patching update schedule for Departmental Leads.
Imaging System Patch Maintenance
Please also reference the Imaging Service's visual guide for what follows in text form: ECMS - Imaging 12-Month Patch/Upgrade Cycle.
- Stay within 6 months of the current vendor patch level.
- 6-month cycle with occasional patches if no client upgrade required and patch features warrant deployment.
- Avoid more than two client updates per year:
- Emergency Patch: First available time.
- Critical Patch: Minimum 10 business days after Hyland releases a patch on the 10th of the month (schedule below indicates the second Thursday after a patch release should a Critical Patch be necessary.
Standard Operating Procedure
- User's pre-testing report due:Friday, end of day, week prior to potential start time.
- Go/No Go Deadline:Wednesday at 9:00 am
- Decision made by ECM/Imaging Team will be based on factors including user's pre-testing results.
- Start time:Thursday, 6:00 pm
- User post-patch testing:Friday at 8:00 am
- Decision on patch roll-back:Friday at 11:00 am
- If needed, roll-back can occur on Friday, 8:00 pm
- Otherwise, make client update available via PEDS at 11:00am
- Patch DEV as soon as possible
- Patch TEST 24 hours after DEV
Schedule for test environment refresh
First Wednesday of each month at 10:00 am
- Quarterly updates released: January, April, July, October (with interim monthly patches).
- Patch/deployments occur on the Thursday of the first full week of February/August.
- Roll-up: August/January updates and patches, Deploy: February
- Roll-up: February/July updates and patches, Deploy: August
- Document Transfer/Conversion Server: Bi-annual software updates, April and September or as needed.
Emergency and Critical Patches Process
The vendor may modify the intervals that follow. The Imaging Team will update this document as we become aware of changes when changes are communicated to the Imaging Team.
- Patch released on the 10th of the month
- EMC/Imaging Team evaluates
- Communications will be sent to Department Leads with recommendations for deployment.
- Recommendation will be based on emergency or critical status of patch.
Security/Critical Monthly Patches
Reserved for each month, second Thursday evening following the Monday of, or following, the 10th patch release. Work extends through the following Saturday morning.
- January 23
- February 27
- March 26
- April 23li>
- May 28
- June 25
- July 23
- August 27
- September 24
- October 29
- November 26
- December 24
- January 28
- february 25
- March 25
- April 29
- May 20
- June 24
- July 22
- August 19
- September 23
- October 21
- November 25
- December 23
Document Transfer and Conversion
The Imaging Team also manages several hosts used for bulk file conversion and importing. Those hosts, like the primary hosts for the Imaging System, also require routine maintenance and patching/updating as exploits and/or security patches are identified by system administrators or when applications that are used for file transfer and document conversion are updated by the vendors of the software. These systems are also on a 6-month patch cycle the month following the primary Imaging System patching. Thus when the primary Imaging System is patched in February of the year, the file transfer and conversion host will be patched in March. When the primary Imaging System is patched in August of the year, the file transfer and conversion host will be patched in September. This is reflected in the 12-month visual guide KB document referenced above.
Note that one difference between these two patch cycles is that this cycle does not take the Imaging System offline. Patching the document transfer and conversion applications will only delay document transfer and conversion while the processes are put on hold pending successful patch completion. Processing will queue and once patching is completed, file transfer and conversion will resume and catch-up any documents that queued during the patching.