ECMS - Client System Requirements
This document provides the requirements for installing and using the Perceptive Software clients.
Perceptive Software offers several ways one can interact with the Perceptive Content server. This KB document explains the requirements for installing the three most frequently used clients:
Perceptive Content Server Client
Perceptive Content Server Client is a desktop product that provides access to all Perceptive Content Server functions including document capture, indexing, viewing, workflow, and document control functionality. ImageNow Printer is optionally included with Perceptive Content Server Client and utilizes the Print command to convert files to TIFF format and bring the files into Perceptive Content Server directly without having to print and scan it first. You can use Perceptive Content Server Printer from any software program that has a print option. The options you set in an Perceptive Content Server Printer capture profile determine how your Perceptive Content Server Printer documents are processed.
NOTE: There is no client for the MacOS/*nix family of operating systems. One must either connect to a client installed on a Windows system via Microsoft Remote Desktop (or some similar product like Citrix) or install the Windows client in a Virtual Machine on one's computer. Examples of such Virtual Machine products are VirtualBox, VMWare, and Parallels. If you have a recent vintage Macintosh computer, you also have the option of using Bootcamp which allows you to install a version of Windows and start your Macintosh in either MacOS or Windows. Using Bootcamp or a Virtual Machine requires that you have a legitimate, licensed version of the Windows operating system. Talk to your IT professional about doing any of this and it is supported by Perceptive (see section below on using a Virtual environment).
Perceptive Content Server Client in a Windows Environment
Perceptive Content Server Client is a desktop interface that provides access to all functions including document capture, indexing, viewing, workflow, and document control functionality.
- Processor: Requires a 2.0 GHz or greater processor. A dual core processor is recommended for increased performance.
- Screen Resolution: The required minimum screen resolution is 1024 x 768. A 1280 x 1024 SVGA screen resolution is recommended. Dual monitors are supported.
- Scanning: For scanning, the Client machine must be either USB compatible or able to accept a SCSI expansion card based upon the interface of your scanner. For USB scanners, revision 2.0 is recommended. The scanner may require a faster machine, a specific operating system, or more memory than the Client. For more information about scanner requirements, refer to the manufacturer's documentation.
- Operating Systems
- Microsoft Windows 7, 8.1, or 10
- PEDS. If you use Perceptive Enterprise Deployment Suite (PEDS), note that PEDS requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
- A dedicated, "always on" connection is required from the Perceptive Content Server Client to the Perceptive Content Server.
- Minimum bandwidth requirements include:
- A 1.5 Mb connection is required. A 4.5 Mb connection is recommended.
- Scanning: For a scan station, a 100 Mb Ethernet connection is required and a 1 Gb Ethernet connection is recommended for best performance. A high-volume scan station in a WAN is not recommended.
- 2 GB
- Consult your scanner manufacturer for recommended memory options.
- Disk Space
- 1 GB
- Scan stations may require more temporary storage space, depending on scanning volume.
Perceptive Content Server Client in a virtual desktop environment
A desktop virtualization or application virtualization environment requires third-party products like Citrix or Microsoft Terminal Services. These requirements can vary depending on whether the terminal server environment uses a server farm and how many users are in the farm. The following table shows typical recommendations for the Client in these environments:
- CPU: 1 core per every 10 users is required. Note that certain tasks, such as printing and scanning documents increase CPU utilization.
- Virtualization Software
- Citrix XenApp, version 6, 6.5, or 7.6
- Microsoft Terminal Services
- Operating Systems
- Microsoft Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Server 2012
- Accessibility - A dedicated, "always on" connection is required from the Perceptive Content Server Client to the Perceptive Content Server.
- Memory - 30 MB of available RAM per user
- Disk Space - 1 GB, plus 5 MB per user in the application data (%APPDATA%) folder.