About DiscoverPD, ImaginePhD, myIDP, Beyond the Professoriate (PhD), Beyond Graduate School (master's), and the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity
This document provides an overview of five career planning and professional development resources for graduate students.
- a skills self-assessment and activity tracker,
- customized reports and professional development recommendations, and
- a database of 400+ in-person and online opportunities.
Watch the 3-minute video for a brief intro to DiscoverPD.
Beyond the Professoriate
For: UW-Madison doctoral students, all disciplines and degree levels, all career paths
With Beyond the Professoriate, students access on-demand videos to explore career options and learn strategies for career success. With over 70 hours of on-demand videos and featuring over 150 PhDs, Aurora is a one-of-a-kind resource.
PhD students and postdocs access resources to help them navigate the faculty job market, and explore professional careers beyond the professoriate.
The curated content includes videos testimonials, and reflective activities, and it provides information for students across disciplines in the Arts & Sciences. It was designed and built by PhDs. The Beyond the Professoriate team, as well as all of the contributors who deliver workshops and participate in career panels and interviews, are experts in their fields who also successfully completed a PhD and launched successful and diverse careers.
Beyond Graduate School
Beyond Graduate School is a one-of-a-kind online career training platform for master’s students. The platform provides on-demand, self-paced learning modules that allow master’s students to explore career options and learn proven job search strategies to secure employment after graduation. Beyond Grad School also hosts a unique video library where students can hear from master’s degree holders working in all career sectors.
Beyond Graduate School benefits master’s students by:
• supporting career exploration and building job search skills.
• providing proven job search strategies so students can leverage their education into professional careers of their choice.
• providing accessible, well-curated resources for busy master’s students.
• complementing existing on-campus graduate student career supports.
• offering recorded seminars, workbooks, and a one-of-a-kind informational interview library where students can learn from other master’s degree holders.
Watch the overview video (opens in new tab) about Beyond Graduate School, which includes research and insights about the unique professional development needs of master’s students.