Topics Map > Training
Topics Map > Communications
Instructions for Updating Unit Directory Information
The Graduate School Unit Directory, a tool that identifies who holds important roles in each graduate program, was redesigned as of October 2015.
Unit Directory is available here: https://apps.grad.wisc.edu/unitdir
Graduate Program Coordinators (those indicated as master's and doctoral coordinators in Unit directory) are expected to keep Unit Directory roles up-to-date at all times.
Subscribe to role – If you're curious what communications your DGS receives from the Grad School, you can "subscribe" to those emails, without assigning yourself the DGS role. This helps maintain role integrity, and still gives you a way to be in the loop.
Live contact info – The Directory pulls up-to-date email, name, and phone rather than rely on stale and inaccurate information entered in the past. The Graduate School relies on program coordinators to keep their Directory information up-to-date.
Faculty lists – Each year you are required to provide graduate faculty lists to Academic Planning and Institutional Research (APIR). This requirement is integrated into Unit Directory.
Enhanced search – The new Unit Directory allows the campus community (netID required) to search a variety of criteria, including program, division, role, name, and more. The lists can then be exported as CSV for easy emailing or as a Excel spreadsheet.
Graduate Program Coordinator steps for updating program roles:
- Login with NetID at https://apps.grad.wisc.edu/unitdir.
- If you are not seeing a link to Edit Program Roles when you login, contact Alissa Ewer. She will assign your name to the doctoral or masters coordinator role in your program. You will see the Edit Program Roles link next time you login.
- Click on Edit Program Roles and assign people to the roles listed for your program(s). Be sure to assign all required roles using the green "Add Person" or "Add Person to Role" buttons. When adding a person enter the netID, full name (e.g. John Smith), OR email as listed in UW Directory, click "Search Person", and "Save Changes".
- Click on Edit Faculty Lists, read the additional instructions at the top of the page, then update your list of grad faculty, and hit "Submit list of faculty".
- You (as well as anyone with netID) can use the search feature by clicking Search Page, selecting a few different criteria, and using the export feature.
Note: If you are leaving your role as coordinator and need to assign someone new to the role in your place, please add him/her first and then delete yourself. As soon as you delete yourself as master's/doctoral coordinator, you will lose editing access to the Unit Directory.
If you have any questions, please contact Alissa Ewer (email@example.com).