Topics Map > Campus Services > WiscWeb CMS
WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Using the Gravity Forms Plugin
Using the Gravity Forms plugin, a site administrator can create and use a web-based form to collect information from site visitors.
In this document:
- Important information regarding use of Gravity Forms in WiscWeb
- Activating the Gravity Forms plugin
- Vendor documentation
- Guidance for embedding forms in WiscWeb UW Theme sites
- From Email field
Important information regarding use of Gravity Forms in WiscWeb
While the WiscWeb service does allow the use of Gravity Forms within its sites, there are three important pieces of information to be aware of when using the plugin.
- Sensitive and restricted data - Gravity Forms should not be used to prompt users for any data that could be considered sensitive and/or restricted as WiscWeb is not secured to host this information. For more information, please see WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Sensitive, Restricted, and Internal Data Policy and the UW System Data Classification Policy.
- Accessibility - For accessibility information, please see the Gravity Forms vendor documentation.
- Payment processing - While the Gravity Forms plugin shows pricing field options, WiscWeb does not support the processing of payments in our multi-site environment. Registration and storefront options that require payment processing will need to be housed in a separate website and linked to from your WiscWeb project. More information on this process can be found in our Options for e-Commerce Transactions KB doc.
Activation and access
Please be aware that the Gravity Forms plugin can be activated by Administrators using the instructions in WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Self Service Plugin Activation / Deactivation. Also know that only site administrators can have access to creating and editing forms within your site.
While the WiscWeb team is more than happy to assist with general guidance on how to use the Gravity Forms plugin as well as best practices, it is difficulty to continue to update our own documentation regarding the plugin. We recommend using the documentation found on the Vendor website.
Embedding a form on your site
Embedding a form within a page or post in your site is a two-step process that requires you copy the embed shortcode and then paste it into the appropriate location.
- Access your form and click on the Embed button in the upper right corner of the screen
- At the bottom of the popup window, click the Copy Shortcode button. This will place the necessary embed shortcode on your clipboard.
- Navigate to the page or post that you want to embed the form on, and in a text editor paste (Ctrl+V or Cmd+V) the shortcode you copied.
From Email requirements
The "From Email" field for all Gravity Forms in WiscWeb will need to be set to "firstname.lastname@example.org". More information on this change can be found at WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Required "From Email" Settings for Gravity Forms.
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Adding CAPTCHA to Gravity Forms
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Options for e-Commerce Transactions
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Required "From Email" Settings for Gravity Forms
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Form Not Sending
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Array Errors
- UW-Madison - IT - Data Classification Policy
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Sensitive, Restricted, and Internal Data Policy
- WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Improving Gravity Forms Accessibility