Topics Map > Campus Services > WiscWeb CMS
WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - 403 Error: Permission Required
The 403 error page message is an indicator of a few things that could be wrong. These include trying to login from off campus without being connected to VPN and trying to submit a form inside which you've copied and pasted in content.
The issue states "403 Error: Permission Required."
Users will see this error if one of two things occur:
- You are trying to login to WiscWeb from off campus or while connected to a non-campus network
- You have submitted a form inside which you've pasted in content from another source
If you are off campus or not connected to a campus network when you receive this error, it is an indicator that you need to connect through WiscVPN. If you already have this installed on your computer, simply login and then try accessing WiscWeb. If you do not have the campus VPN installed on your computer, please download and connect:
- Download WiscVPN (aka Global Protect client from Palo Alto)
- When connecting, make sure to set the portal to
If you received the error after submitting a form, the issue might be that you were copying and pasting in content from another source (ie Microsoft Word) into your form. A short term resolution would be to retype the information directly into the form or pass it through a plain text editor. If that doesn't work, please contact our team and we can make sure that your submission goes through. We can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please include your name, contact information, and the link to the form you were trying to fill out.
- If you are having trouble connecting to the Global Protect VPN client, make sure you have included the correct portal information:
uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu. Attempting to use NetID in the portal field will cause an error.
- Examples of plain text editors would be TextEdit (Mac) or Notepad (Windows)