Topics Map > Campus Services > My UW-Madison
Starfish - Accessing the Starfish App in MyUW
This document features instructions on what to do if the Starfish app is not available in MyUW.
Starfish is a scheduling tool commonly used to schedule appointments with academic advisors. If the Starfish app cannot be found or accessed in MyUW, follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue.
Finding the Starfish App in MyUW
First, familiarize yourself with how Starfish access works by reading the Who Can Access Starfish? section below. If you believe you should have access as an active student or eligible staff member, proceed with step 2.
Go to my.wisc.edu and search for "Starfish" in the search bar at the top of the page. Once found, click Starfish to access the app. To add the tile to your home page for easier access, click Add to home.
If you are unable to find the app by searching for it, try going directly to https://wisc.starfishsolutions.com/starfish-ops.
If the above link does not give you access to Starfish, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- You are currently enrolled in at least one course, either in the current term or a future term.
- You are not currently enrolled in any courses but have been made eligible to enroll for an upcoming term.
|Matriculation Term||Eligible to enroll in...|
|Spring||Mid to late December|
Note: Do not contact the Office of the Registrar to request early enrollment eligibility.
- Having at least one assigned advisee in SIS. This will automatically provision you with a user account in Starfish, and you will be given both the Assigned Advisor and General Advisor roles.
- Manual provisioning. If you don’t have assigned advisees in SIS but still need to use Starfish, please email email@example.com (include your supervisor) and explain your situation. If it is determined that you have a viable use case, IT administrators will work with you to manually provision you with a Starfish role and user account. This may require discussion with others in your unit if your unit is not currently set up with a service (unit entity) or services in Starfish.
- Starfish is currently available for use by academic advisors, career services professionals, student services staff (e.g. Financial Aid, Dean of Students Office), and some learning support staff. The instructional use case is not currently within scope of our Starfish implementation.
- Staff users of Starfish must be associated with a “service” (a unit entity) within the system for it to function properly for the user, and that association must be made administratively.
Errors Accessing the Starfish App
If you are able to see Starfish in your MyUW portal but are experiencing an error when trying to access it, please take a screenshot of the error and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance. Instructions for taking screenshots can be found here: