Minimum Zoom Desktop And Mobile Version Requirement: Effective Jan 11, 2022
Posted: 15:54:19, Thursday, Dec 16, 2021 Expiration: 15:54:19, Monday, Feb 28, 2022
Effective January 11, all UW–Madison Zoom accounts will be required to use a Zoom desktop and mobile application version of 5.6.3 or later. This requirement does not apply to the Zoom web application.
Individuals attending a Zoom meeting hosted by a UW–Madison Zoom account will also be required to use a Zoom desktop or mobile application version of 5.6.3 or later. Alternatively, they can access the meeting using the Zoom web application. This requirement is in line with industry best practices and ensures UW–Madison Zoom accounts have access to the latest Zoom features and privacy/security enhancements.
Prepare For This Requirement
- Check your Zoom desktop or mobile application version.
- Update your Zoom desktop or mobile application version if you are not using version 5.6.3 or later. (For faculty and staff: Contact your IT department if you need administrative permission to complete the update.)
- Learn how to test your Zoom desktop or mobile application version before starting or joining a UW–Madison Zoom hosted meeting.
- Share the Zoom test room link with your attendees ahead of your meeting so they can prepare to attend.
- (Optional) Attend a 30-minute lunch and learn to ask questions about this requirement.
- January 6, 2022, noon: Join
As Zoom releases new versions of its desktop and mobile application, we will continue to adjust the minimum version from 5.6.3 to a version that addresses security vulnerabilities. Announcements will be made in TechNews and the Zoom KnowledgeBase news section when the minimum version is modified. With this in mind, we recommend updating your Zoom desktop and/or mobile application to the latest version, even if you meet the minimum requirement.
If you have any other questions about this change, please contact the DoIT Help Desk.
-- Zoom: Christina Gomez
Created: 10:06:58, Thursday, Dec 16, 2021 (by Christina G.)
Updated: 16:09:16, Thursday, Dec 16, 2021 (by Christina G.)