Topics Map > Campus Services > Office 365
Office 365 - Getting Started with OneDrive for Business
Microsoft OneDrive for Business, or OneDrive for Business, is a file-hosting service that is operated by Microsoft as part of its suite of online services. It allows users to store files as well as other personal data in the cloud. Files can be synced to a PC and accessed from a web browser or a mobile device, as well as shared publicly or with specific people.
Note: UW-Madison's Office 365 administrators cannot assist users in moving any data out of OneDrive for Business or OneDrive for Business.
OneDrive for Business and Office 365
- Can I use my personal Microsoft account's OneDrive for Business with UW-Madison's implementation of OneDrive for Business?
No. However, you can merge the files by using the OneDrive for Business sync client (Windows only). If you want to move the files from your personal OneDrive for Business to UW-Madison's implementation of OneDrive for Business, you can simply copy and paste.
- How is my personal Microsoft account's OneDrive for Business different than my UW-Madison's Office 365 OneDrive for Business?
Your personal Microsoft or Outlook.com account comes with access to OneDrive for Business - this should be used to save documents, photos, and other files in the cloud, share them with friends, and even collaborate on content that is not related to university related services. You’re free to decide how you want to use it.
Your UW-Madison Office 365 account also comes with OneDrive for Business and is intended to be used for UW-Madison business related purposes.
- How much storage space does OneDrive for Business give to each user in Office 365 within UW-Madison?
Each user gets 2 TB (terabyte) of storage space in the cloud. However, users who want additional storage can contact the help desk and include usage needs.
- Can I see how much storage space I am using?
- Sign into your UW-Madison OneDrive account.
- Click Return to classic OneDrive link located at the bottom left of your OneDrive window.
- Click Settings gear icon located at top right of your OneDrive window.
- Select Site Settings from the sub-menu.
- Click Storage Metrics within "Site Collection Administration" section.
- Located at the top right of your OneDrive window, you will see the amount of storage your account is currently using.
- Are there file (folder) and sync size limits for OneDrive for Business?
Yes, please see following Microsoft article for these limits
- Who can see the files that I store in OneDrive for Business?
All files that you store in OneDrive for Business are private unless you decide to share them.
- Who can I share files in OneDrive for Business with?
You can share a file within anyone by providing direct access or via a specific url. Learn more.
Desktop and web
- Use OneDrive for Business with Office
- Configure your computer to sync files (Windows)
- Configure your computer to sync files (macOS)
- Use OneDrive for Business with Office Online