MFA-Duo - What do I do if I am transferring or leaving UW-Madison? (Employee)

This document describes what you should do when transferring or leaving employment at UW-Madison specific to MFA-Duo devices that you have.

During the roll-out phase through mid-Spring of 2019, if you are transferring to a division or department that has not yet implemented MFA-Duo please retain your MFA-Duo device(s) as you will eventually be required to use them when your new division / department is onboarded.

If you have not personally been required to use MFA-Duo with your NetID and are transferring to a division / department that uses MFA-Duo, please click here to get started in registering your device.

When transferring to another division or department within UW-Madison that also uses MFA-Duo you can continue to use the same device(s) without interruption of service.

Smart device users can continue to use their existing MFA-Duo configuration to access UW-Madison resources but would want to add their new campus Duo service in the Duo application.

Token/fob users would need an additional token from their new campus as any individual token can only be active in one Duo service.

Owing to delays in entry or periods where you may be remaining active before termination (sabbatical, vacation, etc) you may continue to be associated with your former UDDS.

As a result you will want to continue to retain your smart device app and/or keyfob in order to authenticate to Duo if required when accessing former employee resources (such as your W2, benefit information, etc).

Once you stop being prompted regularly for Duo, it is safe to uninstall the Duo application from your smart phone unless you use it at other institutions or to recycle your key fob.

See accessibility & usability information

We work with our users to address access and usability barriers in the MFA user experience. Learn details about known access barriers and workarounds at MFA-Duo - Accessibility & Usability Information MFA-Duo - Accessibility & Usability Information. If you encounter a barrier or need assistance, please contact the DoIT Help Desk or call (608) 264-4357.

For questions regarding how to get access to the MFA mobile app contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 or email

How to get access to a Security Key or Duo Token/Fob 


Students, to obtain a token/fob, please contact the DoIT Help Desk (608) 264-4357 or email Students with disabilities can also request a token or security key at the McBurney Disability Resource Center, 702 W. Johnson St., Suite #2104, Madison WI 53715 on the 2nd floor.

Faculty, Staff, and Researchers

Employees can get access to devices for MFA at their Human Resources Office or IT department. For questions contact the DoIT Help Desk at (608) 264-4357 or email 

Keywords:transferring leaving employment termination quit depart multi-factor retire retiree multifactor authentication token fob transfer job change leave   Doc ID:86237
Owner:Naomi S.Group:Identity and Access Management
Created:2018-10-04 14:08 CDTUpdated:2020-04-09 08:57 CDT
Sites:DoIT Help Desk, DoIT Tech Store, Identity and Access Management
Feedback:  0   0