Topics Map > Teaching, Learning & Academic Administration > Short-Term Staff (STS)
Topics Map > HR & Payroll > Short-Term Staff
Topics Map > HR & Payroll > Template Letters
Topics Map > HR & Payroll > Policies
L&S Policy on Volunteers
From time to time, departments and programs of the College of Letters and Science may wish to engage unpaid volunteers in various aspects of their activities, including but not limited to formal instruction. University policy allows this.
It is important to clarify, however, that departments should not rely on volunteers to perform duties typically performed by permanent employees or short-term staffing. Volunteers should be supplementing the work done by employees rather than replacing paid staff. The contributions of volunteers should enhance existing programs. Concerns about program stability and continuity dictate that programs should not rely solely on volunteer efforts. In most cases, the College will not allow a volunteer to serve as the sole instructor of a course or courses on an on-going basis (more than one semester or summer session).
To request permission to appoint volunteers, departments should follow procedures akin to personnel transactions. As with any appointment, volunteer appointments require HR approval prior to appointment and may require a Criminal Background Check (CBC).
Instructional volunteers will be appointed as zero-dollar academic staff (e.g., Emeritus Professor or Lecturer). They will have an appointment in HRS and will be entered as instructors of record in SIS. This is necessary for compliance with campus policy. Contact Amanda Mahr with questions related to volunteer instructors.
- Draft a memo to the Academic Associate Dean. This memo should be approved by the departmental executive committee or its equivalent and should include the following:
- The terms of the relationship. Please describe the duties or services to be provided, begin date, end date, procedures for terminating the agreement prior to the designated end date, time commitment expected, etc.
- Information about the volunteer. Include a statement attesting to the volunteer's qualifications for providing these services. This may include, for example, a vita or resume, letters of support from colleagues or peers who would work with the volunteer, etc.
- Justification for using a volunteer. Include a statement explaining why the use of the volunteer enhances the program or provides additional benefits to existing program features. Specify the title requested.
- Submit a request via the online Instructional Staffing Request form. The departmental memo, the instructor's CV and other supporting documents may be uploaded via this form:
- When approved, please work with your STS/SA HR Business Partner to draft an offer letter and add the volunteer to HRS.
- Submit a request to your departmental HR Business Partner for review. The request must include:
- Resume or CV for each volunteer.
- L&S draft volunteer appointment letter which describes the duties or services to be provided, the begin date and end date, the hours to be worked per week.
- If your volunteer needs a zero-dollar academic staff appointment, please specify the title. A zero-dollar academic staff appointment allows the employee to obtain a campus ID, email, etc.
- If the volunteer is in a position of trust with unsupervised access to vulnerable populations or is involved with a camp a CBC is required.
- Fill out appropriate CBC spreadsheet (CAMP Volunteer Spreadsheet or Volunteer Spreadsheet) and submit to your departmental HR Rep along with draft letter.
- CBC must be complete prior to volunteer appointment begin date (CBC’s generally take 1-5 days to process).
- The appointment must be approved by your departmental HR Rep before the letter is sent to the volunteer. Once approved, send the final appointment letter to the volunteer and include a copy of the Volunteer Fact Sheet with the letter.
- Send a final copy of the signed letter to your departmental HR Rep.
- Volunteer appointments are not entered into JEMS/HRS. However, if a zero-dollar academic staff appointment was requested for your volunteer, you will need to enter the appointment into JEMS Hire or submit the appropriate New Hire form (for centralized units).
- Welcome the volunteer to your organization.