Topics Map > Teaching, Learning & Academic Administration
Topics Map > HR & Payroll > Short-Term Staff
Topics Map > HR & Payroll > Template Letters
L&S Short-Term Staff Appointment Letters
This KB provides important information about appointment letters for short-term instructional staff (STS) at the College of Letters and Science, with links to frequently used documents and policies. Direct questions regarding policies and procedures to your STS/SA HR Business Partner.
- How to request short-term staff.
- Information on short-term staff recruitment.
- Standard STS base rates.
- L&S Lecturer policy.
- UAPC Policy on Minimum Qualifications for Instructional Staff.
- Overload Approval in Overload Approval System
- Required if the employee will work more than 100% FTE across all UW System appointments
- Dual-Role Waiver approval
- Required for academic staff who are appointed temporarily into a concurrent role that is different from their primary role, e.g., an academic staff member whose primary role is research or outreach and who is hired temporarily into a concurrent instructional role.
- See “Waivers: Tenure Clock Extensions, Leaves of Absence, Conversions, Dual Roles and Track Changes” for required documentation and additional background
- Submit your dual-role waiver request to Laura Fisk, email@example.com
- Rehired Annuitant Request form
- Adjunct Faculty approval
- Letter of Offer Attachment: Download current version from OHR's Recruitment Toolkit, under "Applicant Communications and Offer Letter Templates" header.
Appointment Letter Templates
Academic Staff STS
- Academic Staff STS: revised 2/16/2023 (This letter template can be used year-round; there is not a separate 'summer letter')
- Used for most short-term instructional academic staff hires, including lecturers, teaching faculty (formerly called faculty associate), teaching specialist (formerly called faculty assistants), adjunct faculty and visiting faculty.
- Academic Year Lecturer(SA): revised 2/16/2023 (This letter template can be used year-round; there is not a separate 'summer letter')
- Used for any graduate student hired as sole instructor (see Lecturer (SA) appointments in L&S: Minimum Qualifications, Course Assignments, Supervision, Evaluation). See University of Wisconsin–Madison Maximum Levels of Graduate Assistantship Appointments Policy or L&S Student Assistant Appointment Letter Templates for limitations on Student Assistant appointments.
Rehired Annuitant STS
- Rehired Annuitant STS: revised 2/22/2023
- Used for hires who retired on or after July 2, 2013 and are receiving a WRS annuity.
Zero Dollar Instructional
Instructional Temporary Increase
- Instructional Temporary Increase: revised 02/17/2023
- Used for a temporary FTE increase to an existing instructional academic staff appointment.
Information for Appointment Letters
Semester Instructional Dates & Calendars
|Payroll start:||August 21, 2023|
|Payroll end:||January 03, 2024|
|Courses begin:||September 06, 2023|
|Exams end:||December 21, 2023|
|Payroll start:||January 04, 2024|
|Payroll end:||May 19, 2024|
|Courses begin:||January 23, 2024|
|Exams end:||May 10, 2024|