Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Human Resources
Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Academic & Curricular Administration > Personnel - Budgetary and Curricular Intersections > Human Resources
Topics Map > College of Letters and Science > Academic & Curricular Administration > Personnel - Budgetary and Curricular Intersections > Short Term Staffing
L&S Letter Templates for Short-Term Staff
This document contains templates for short-term staff (STS) appointment letters, with links to frequently used documents and policies.
Please see Letter Templates for Academic and University Staff Appointments for other academic staff offer letters.
Before drafting an offer letter, you may find the following documents helpful:
Please use the templates below to create a draft appointment letter and email to Amanda Mahr for review. You will also need to submit a copy of the instructor's CV and any related documents (overload, PVL waiver, Rehired Annuitant Request form, Adjunct request, etc.) at that time. You will receive a signed approval via email with any corrections. The signed approval should be kept in the instructor's personnel file at the department.
For open recruitments through TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then email the final draft to Amanda Mahr. Amanda will send the letter to the instructor via TREMS.
Offers outside of TREMS: Please correct your draft if necessary, and then mail or email the offer to your instructor along with any enclosures. Links to the enclosures are below.
- Academic Staff STS: This template should be used for most short-term instructional academic staff hires, including lecturers, faculty assistants, adjunct faculty and visiting faculty.
- Lecturer (SA): Any graduate or professional student hired as a lecturer will have the "Lecturer (SA)" title (see Lecturer (SA): Minimum Qualifications, Course Assignments, Supervision, Evaluation ).
- Instructional Temporary Increase: Use to temporarily increase an existing instructional academic staff appointment.
- Rehired Annuitant STS: Please use for employees who retired after July 2, 2013.
- Zero Dollar Instructional: Please see the L&S Policy on Volunteers for more information.
Dates & Calendars
- Spring 2017
- Payroll start: January 13, 2017
- Payroll end: May 28, 2017
- Courses begin January 17, 2017
- Exams end May 12, 2017
- Fall 2017
- Payroll start: August 21, 2017
- Payroll end: January 4, 2018
- Courses begin September 6, 2017
- Exams end December 21, 2017
- Spring 2018
- Payroll start: January 5, 2018
- Payroll end: May 20, 2018
- Courses begin January 23, 2018
- Exams end May 11, 2018
For summer sessions appointments, please reference the dates on your department's "Expense Details" report.
Calculating Gross Salary
Most short-term instructors are paid based on a 9-month, C-Basis rate (see L&S Standard Rates for Instructional Staff ).
- Semester-length course: Base rate / 2 * appointment percentage.
- Academic year salary: Base rate * appointment percentage.
- Other: If the appointment is not based on a semester or academic year, use the "FLOAT" tool to calculate the instructor's salary: FLOAT
Enclosures & Links
- Letter of Offer Attachment: Latest copy can be downloaded from http://tre.ohr.wisc.edu/, under "Applicant Communications and Offer Letter Templates" header.
- Summary of Benefits. Most short-term staff should receive the benefit summary for "Student Assistant, Employee-in-Training & Short Term Academic not covered by the Wisconsin Retirement System".
- Rehired Annuitant Election form
- Overload System