Topics Map > Accessibility
Topics Map > Canvas
Kaltura/Canvas - Using the Transcript Widget in MediaSpace and Canvas [UW-Madison]
The Kaltura MediaSpace transcript widget displays a transcript widget below any video that has captions. The transcript widget allows users to search the transcript and save them. As you watch your video you'll see the text highlight as words are spoken. You can also click on a word in the transcript to jump to that point in the video.
Embedding a video with the transcript widget in Canvas
To embed media with captions with the transcript widget in Canvas:
- Follow instructions 1-4 in Canvas - Embedding an Existing Kaltura MediaSpace Video in a Canvas Page [UW-Madison] .
- In step 5, click the Gear button next to the video you want to embed using the transcript player:
- Click the Choose Player drop-down menu and select Transcript video player.
The Embed Kaltura Media window does not properly preview what the transcript widget looks like.
- Make other selections as discussed in Canvas - Embedding an Existing Kaltura MediaSpace Video in a Canvas Page [UW-Madison].
- Click </> Embed.
- Click Save.
If a user clicks "Hide transcript" in Canvas, it will hide the transcript but because the embedded video is a fixed size, white space will appear below the embedded transcript video player:
Using the transcript widget in the MediaSpace portal
The transcript widget is configured to be used with the main Kaltura MediaSpace player. When you load a video that has captions the transcript widget will appear below the video automatically:
You may see the transcript widget briefly flash on screen and disappear when you load a video that does not have captions. You can also choose to use the new widget when embedding your media elsewhere by using the Share → Embed feature:
- Launch Chrome or Firefox and go to Kaltura MediaSpace: mediaspace.wisc.edu.
- Click on your name in the upper-right corner of the screen and click My Media.
- Search for or scroll until you find the piece of media you want to link to or embed. Click on it.
- After the media loads, click the Share tab located underneath the media item.
- Click the Embed tab.
- Select the options to generate embed code for the transcript player.
- Select the transcript widget.
- Select the 500 x 569 widget size.
- Copy the embed code.
- You can paste the embed code in your own HTML page or other online tool. For information on how to use embed code in your site, please see the documentation for your site or tool. Due to how the embed code is generated in MediaSpace, the transcript widget cannot be hidden when a video is embedded with the transcript widget via this method.
Embed code overrides entitlements and publishing settings. Depending on where you use the embed code, it could make the media public to the world - be thoughtful about where you embed media and what you are embedding.
- The transcript player's preview when selected in Canvas does not include the transcript widget .
- If a user clicks "Hide transcript" in Canvas, it will hide the transcript but because the embedded video is a fixed size, white space will appear below the embedded transcript video player.
- When the transcript widget is embedded using Kaltura MediaSpace Share → Embed feature as described above, the transcript widget cannot be hidden.