Topics Map > Media Delivery > Kaltura
Topics Map > LMS > Canvas > Canvas - Known Issues
Kaltura Capture - Locating the local recording files on your computer
This document describes how to locate local recordings created from Kaltura Capture on your computer.
Kaltura's documentation is available for review in their Kaltura Personal Capture Folder Directory document.
Kaltura Capture default recordings folder
The default location for Kaltura Capture recordings are in the following folders for Windows and OSX. Items in brackets [ ] are meant to be edited and customized based on your information:
- Windows: C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Kaltura\Capture\Recordings\
- Launch File Explorer and either manually navigate to the folder (if you have un-hid system folders in your File Explorer Options control panel), or copy-and-paste a customized version of the above path into the File Explorer location bar. Alternately you can copy and paste this into the File Explorer location bar:
%localappdata%\Kaltura\Capture\Recordings\ and press Enter:
- OSX: /Users/[your user name]/Library/Preferences/Kaltura/Capture
- From the OSX Finder, click Go and select Go to Folder. Enter the folder path based on the path above but customized with your user name:
If you're not sure of your username you can double click your hard drive to open and browse it and then double click on the Users folder to see what user folders are available.
Kaltura Capture files are not named in a user-understandable fashion - they are strings of letters and numbers. Do not edit the file names or locations or you will not be able to later upload them with Kaltura Capture to MediaSpace from Kaltura Capture. You can, however, select and copy the files if you want to keep them for later use and reference. You can double click on the MP4 files to launch a video player and review what was recorded. It may also be helpful to look at the file date and time.
Customizing the Kaltura Capture recordings folder location or determining the customized folder location
It is also possible for the user to customize the location where Kaltura Capture stores screen and webcam recordings when it was installed. If you'd like to either find where you set the capture location or customize the capture location you can do so by re-launching the Kaltura Capture installer. If you don't have the Kaltura Capture installer you can re-download it by following the directions in Kaltura Capture - Installation . Once you have the installer:
- Launch the installer by double-clicking it.
- Click Next.
- Click Change.
- The installer will show you the location of your Recordings folder.
You can manually enter a new location or copy the location and use with the directions above.