Topics Map > Media Delivery > Kaltura > MediaSpace > Media Ingestion Tools
Kaltura - How to Upload Videos to MediaSpace using Your Phone (UW-Madison)
This document shows students, instructors, and other users of UW-Madison Kaltura MediaSpace how to upload videos using their smartphone (iOS or Android). Using your smartphone is a easy way to record videos and get them into Kaltura.
Warning! Uploading videos takes a lot of data! The Learn@UW team recommends that you wait until you are on WiFi to upload videos to Kaltura.
- Kaltura MediaSpace Go (KMS Go) app
- Your phone's browser.
Kaltura MediaSpace Go (KMS Go) app
The preferred method utilizes Kaltura's KMS Go App. Basic instructions on installing KMS Go are available in Kaltura - Installing and configuring Kaltura MediaSpace Go (KMS Go) app for mobile devices . Kaltura has additional documentation in: Kaltura MediaSpace Go (KMS Go). Kaltura has additional documentation on creating or uploading content in their documents:
Using your phone's browser
The second method to upload content is through your phone's Internet Browser. To do so, follow these steps:
- Record your video with your Android or iPhone Camera application.
- Open a browser application on your smartphone and navigate to https://mediaspace.wisc.edu.
- Click the person icon in the top right corner. Click "Media Upload".
- (Optional) If you have not yet logged in to Kaltura MediaSpace, you will be prompted to log in.
- Click Choose a file to upload.
- Either select a previously recorded video (recommended) or record a new video.
- The video will begin to upload. "Upload Completed!" will display when finished.
- (Optional) Kaltura will automatically set the file name as the name of the uploaded video. The file name is not always the best for identifying the video at a later date, so it is recommended that you give your video a more relevant title by changing the "Name" field.
- Once finished modifying the metadata, click Save at the bottom of the screen.
After your file is uploaded, Kaltura MediaSpace will take additional time to initially display your video in your "My Media" area. When it does appear in My Media an icon indicating it is still processing will display until it is done processing. The amount of time it takes Kaltura MediaSpace to process a file is dependent on its complexity, file size, and duration.
Generally it takes about 2-3 times the video's duration for Kaltura MediaSpace to display an initial lower quality version of your video. For example a 15 minute video will usually take about 30-45 minutes to initially process. The other higher quality versions will take longer to process. When Kaltura MediaSpace is being heavily used, processing times will lengthen and could take up to 24 hours. If your video takes longer than 24 hours to process, please call the DoIT Help Desk. More detailed information is available in Kaltura's document involving transcoding times and quality of service.