SIS/Building Your Schedule of Classes - Reviewing and Updating Independent Study Sections
This document will provide tips for reviewing independent study and outline how to update an independent study section.
Review tips for Independent Study sections
- Instructors will term roll with their sections. This is unique to IND sections- instructors do not term roll for any other courses.
- Each Independent Study instructor is assigned to a specific Class Section with a separate Class Number.
How to add an Independent Study section
- From Home, select: Curric & Enroll Rep WorkCenter, Maintain Schedule of Classes
Tip: Menu navigation: > Curriculum Management > Schedule of Classes > Maintain Schedule of Classes for classes that have already been scheduled - or - > Schedule New Course to add a new IND course to your Schedule of Classes for a term.
Use the Find page to locate the desired course. Search by Term and Subject Area to view a list of all scheduled courses, or search by Term, Subject Area, and Catalog Nbr to find a specific course.
To assist departments with keeping course offerings aligned with the Policy for Independent/Directed Study for Undergraduates, the following limits will be applied to IND courses offered in summer 2015 and beyond:
- Enrollment in an undergraduate course numbered x98, x99, x89, 681, 682, 691 or 692 will require instructor consent (indicated in the course catalog entry).
- The course will not be provided a room assignment.
- The course will not have a meeting pattern.
- The component type will always be set to IND, independent.
- Each section of an independent study course will have no more than one instructor.
Be sure that the following are also true:
- Section number and Association number must match
- Component type is IND
- Class type is set as Enrollment Section
- Instruction Mode is set to P (Classroom Instruction)
- Each section must have one and only one principal instructor
Note: Your department may have assigned a unique number to each instructor called a “conference number.” You may wish to use this number as the Class Section number. This number must be 3 digits.
- Use the Update Sections of a Class page to review all IND sections on one page.
- Most IND sections are offered for a credit range (e.g. 1-6 credits), since students work with their faculty instructors to determine the number of credits they should enroll for