Topics Map > Office of the Secretary of the Faculty > Faculty Senate > Senate Minutes
Faculty Senate Minutes 2011-03-07
University of Wisconsin--Madison
shared governance document
March 7, 2011
The meeting was called to order by Chancellor Biddy Martin at 3:32 p.m. with 179 voting members present.
1. Memorial resolutions were presented for:
Professor Emeritus Bruce Benward. faculty document 2246Professor Vartan Manoogian. faculty document 2248Professor Emeritus George R. Sell. faculty document 2249Professor Emeritus Claude Adams Taylor. faculty document 2250
2. Announcements/Informational Items.
Chancellor Martin spoke about the governor’s biennial budget bill for 2011-2013, which contains a$125 million cut for the UW-Madison as well as a provision to make UW-Madison a public authority.Professor Judith Burstyn spoke about actions the University Committee is taking in response to the impact of the state budget bill on UW-Madison.
3. Question Period.
There were no questions.
AUTOMATIC CONSENT BUSINESS
4. The minutes of 7 February 2011 were approved as distributed.
5. Chancellor Martin called attention to the report of the nominations of faculty for election to the Committee on Committees. The nominees are:
Social Studies Division
Professor Maribeth Gettinger, Educational Psychology (District 30)Professor James Hodder, Business (District 24)
There were no additional nominations from the floor.Chancellor Martin announced that Professor Dan Hausman and Assistant Professor Paola Hernández are the final two nominees for the Commission on Faculty Compensation and Economic Benefits ballot.Chancellor Martin announced that Professor Hussain Bahia, Professor Thomas Givnish and ProfessorIrwin Goldman are the final three nominees for the Committee on Faculty Rights and Responsibilities.Electronic balloting information will be distributed to the senators in late March.
6. Chancellor Martin announced that pursuant to Faculty Policies and Procedures 2.08.B., the discussion of the relationship between the New Badger Partnership and the governor’s budget bill would be discussed in a Committee of the Whole. The chancellor recognized Professor Burstyn, who moved to convene in a committee of the whole and that the discussion end no
later than 5:00 p.m.
The motion passed without negative vote.At 5:02 p.m., the committee rose and reported.
7. Associate Professor Christine Seroogy moved to adopt the Request from the School of Medicine and Public Health for Permission to Create Three Modified Professorial Working Titles. The motion was seconded. faculty document 2251
Dean Robert Golden presented information about the request.There were no questions or comments.The motion passed on voice vote.
8. Professor Steffen Lempp presented for discussion the first reading of the Department of Mathematics’ Resolution on Problems Caused by Recent U.S. Immigration Practices. faculty document 2252
There were no questions or comments.
The meeting adjourned at 5:08 p.m.
Secretary of the Faculty
« Previous: Faculty Senate Minutes 2011-02-07