Topics Map > Office of the Secretary of the Faculty > Faculty Senate > Senate Minutes
Faculty Senate Minutes 2013-03-04
University of Wisconsin--Madison
March 4, 2013
shared governance document
The meeting was called to order by Provost Paul DeLuca at 3:32 p.m. with 151 voting members present.
1. Memorial resolutions were presented for:
Professor Paul J. Bertics. faculty document 2396
Professor Emeritus Josiah S. Dilley. faculty document 2397
Professor Emeritus William Fey. faculty document 2398
Professor Emeritus Donald T. Fullerton Jr. faculty document 2399
Professor Emeritus Norman S. Greenfield. faculty document 2400
Professor Emeritus Jurgen F.H. Herbst. faculty document 2401
Professor Emeritus James C. Knox. faculty document 2402
Professor Emeritus Milton O. Pella. faculty document 2403
Professor Emeritus Richard J. Thurrell. faculty document 2404
2. Announcements/Informational Items.
Provost DeLuca noted the schedule of upcoming public receptions for the four chancellor finalist candidates and also reported on the university’s single domain system. There was one question regarding the single domain system.Vice Chancellor Darrell Bazzell updated the senate on the state budget.Dean Jeffrey Russell reported on the university’s Educational Innovation initiatives, including MOOCs (massive open on-line courses). There were two questions.Dr. Sarah Van Orman reported on the campus alcohol policy. There were several questions and comments regarding the policy.Professor Emeritus Christopher Kleinhenz reported on the university’s ombuds program.Professor Mark Cook updated the senate on the proposed College of the Arts.
3. Question Period.
There were no questions.
AUTOMATIC CONSENT BUSINESS
4. The minutes of 4 February 2013 were approved as distributed.
5. Professor Peter Vranas submitted for informational purposes the Archives Committee Annual Report for 2011-2012. faculty document 2405
There were no questions or comments.
6. Provost DeLuca called attention to the report of the nominations of faculty for election to the Committee on Committees.
The nominees are:
Physical Sciences Division
Judith Burstyn, Chemistry, District 48Robert Witt, Engineering Physics, District 41
There were no additional nominations from the floor.
Provost DeLuca declared the nominations closed. Electronic balloting information will be distributed to the senators in early April.
7. Professor Cook presented for discussion the first reading of the University Committee Recommendation to Amend Faculty Policies and Procedures 4.10. Divisional Executive Committees: Membership. faculty document 2406
Associate Professor Naomi Chesler, chair of the Physical Sciences Divisional Committee, provided
background information on the recommendation.
There was one comment.
The meeting adjourned at 4:42 p.m.
Secretary of the Faculty