Convened in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss appointments of continuing Academic Staff Assembly Representatives (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)Reconvened in Open Session (Moved. Seconded. Approved.)
- CASI Interest Survey Results
- ASEC looked at the results of the survey. There was consensus that it might worth trying to work with a couple of divisions individually to establish new CASIs. ASEC will consider how best to do this and revisit this issue in a few weeks.
- Provost Topics
- ASEC would like to discuss the Category A Maxima resolution, update on the budget and shared governance in Chapter 36.
- FPP Chapter 6 Proposed Changes
- This draft was discussed at the Faculty Senate meeting in May. ASEC discussed what to do with this draft. There were many suggestions, but no consensus. ASEC will revisit this issue next week.
- Next ASEC Meeting, May 28, 2015 – for decision
- Finish discussion on Chapter 6 FPP
- Priorities Survey Results
- Guests: Sarah Mangelsdorf, Provost
Motion to approve the appointment of Academic Staff Assembly Representatives Benjamin Duval, Melissa Behr, Yvette Egan, Sarah Jedd, Scott Troyan, Christine McWilliams, Denise Smith, Ross Treddinick, Susan Wielgus, John Bogdanske, Jenny Dahlberg, Christopher Harrison, Shannon DiMarco, Sandra Black, Mindy Kendrick, Carmen Hotvedt, Peter Mann, Caitlin Tefft, Sir Williams, Tom Durkin, Tori Richardson, Jim Rogers. Seconded. Motion passes.Guest: Darrell Bazzell, Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
Darrell Bazzell reported that he has asked Bob Lavigna to send out the Performance Management policy as is. He has decided not revisit the policy with the purpose of making exemptions.
Regarding the budget, the question is to what extent is the legislature willing to re-prioritize to reduce cuts to UW System. The Transportation and UW System budgets still have not been considered by the Joint Finance Committee. The UW System budget should be within the next two weeks. It sounds like the Joint Finance Committee will amend Chapter 36 rather than using the governor’s amended version. Ray Cross has been openly saying that tenure will look different, and this will happen at the UW System level. Darrell also mentioned that they should be able to get more information regarding specific cuts to governance groups in the next couple weeks.
Darrell Bazzell discussed a possible shared governance budget committee. He mentioned that the two things he believes led to the demise of the last budget committee were that the people on the committee did not have the necessary budget expertise to be able to give input, and it wasn’t nimble enough to move quickly when needed. He thought that a budget committee could deal with mid to long term budget issues.
Meeting adjourned at 4:31 p.m.Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff