Topics Map > Academic Staff Assembly Documents > Documents 401-500
ASA Document 427. Resolution Regarding Category A Salary Maxima
Academic Staff Assembly Document #427
May 10, 2010
Resolution Regarding Category A Salary Maxima
Whereas salary caps for Category A1
Whereas Category A academic staff are the only unclassified staff at UW-Madison with salary caps, academic staff were established during the 1986-87 Hayes-Hill study,
Whereas the 2008-09 data show that 486 Category A academic staff had extremely limited opportunity for advancement because they were not promotable, not in a title with an extraordinary salary range (ESR), and were within 10% of the cap for their salary range,
Whereas the Committee on Economic Benefits and Compensation has prepared and presented to the Academic Staff Executive Committee (ASEC) and the Academic Staff Assembly a report documenting this problem with Category A salary caps as well as proposing a number of possible solutions,
Therefore be it resolved that ASEC will work with the Academic Personnel Office and other interested partners to implement actions to solve this problem. These actions may include:
• removing the salary caps
• gradually and systematically increasing the salary maxima
• conducting a market study on all permanent Category A academic staff titles
• conducting a market study on a stratified random sample of permanent Category A academic staff.
In addition, partial solutions can be used a first step towards a complete solution. Partial solutions include:
• making the Distinguished prefix more attainable for all Category A job titles,
• adding an additional prefix in the normal career progression
• promoting and facilitating the use of ESR.
1Category A titles include administrative and professional positions as opposed to Category B titles that include instructional and higher-level research positions.