2:00 – 4:30 p.m. Thursday, January 28, 2016
67 Bascom Hall
Members Present: Bruno Browning; Aaron Crandall; Trish Iaccarino; Sarah Kuba; Heather Mc Fadden, Chair; Michael Moscicke; Kevin Niemi, Deb Shapiro
Guests: Michael Bernard-Donals, Mark Connolly, Jackie Hank, Gretchen Viney
The meeting was called to order at 2:02 p.m.
The minutes of January 21, 2016, were approved.
• ASEC Chair Heather McFadden asked ASEC whether they wanted to post the survey for the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration for one week or hold a special ASEC meeting and post it for two weeks. ASEC decided it would post the survey for two weeks. At the University Committee, the Chancellor reported she is meeting with schools/colleges and departments. Mark Covaleski from the Athletic Board reported that a five member committee for hiring of the men’s basketball coach has been put together. It includes a co-chair of the personnel committee, chair of the Athletic Board, the sports liaison, an alumni member and another member of the Athletic Board. Jackie Hank will fill the last slot on the five member committee. The committee will evaluate candidates on the academic performance of student athletes, the overall student experience, and compliance.
Heather M. also reviewed the discussion with the University Committee, Associate Students of Madison and University Staff Executive Committee about a new shared governance budget committee. The new budget committee would be established in FP&P. The composition of the committee would be 4 faculty, 4 academic staff, and 4 university staff who would all serve four-year staggered terms. There would also be 4 students serving shorter terms. The membership composition would be determined by each group. The secretaries would determine if there is an issue with diversity of committee composition. The chair of the committee would be determined by majority vote. The committee would be charged with either advising the VCFA, the Chancellor, Provost or possibly all three. There was also discussion about having ex officio non-voting representatives from the Provost, VCFA, VCRGE, and Vice Chancellor for University Relations. The committee would likely be asked to meet monthly or more often. There was disagreement about how often the committee should meet. The committee would be charged with recommending an annual operating budget, reviewing long term changes to the budget model, making biennial budget recommendations, recommending capital budgets as needed, and taking up budget-related issues as they arise. There was some discussion about whether this would be too time consuming or whether the committee would be able to delegate some issues to ad hoc committees.
• Secretary of the Academic Staff Heather Daniels reported on her attendance at the Area Review Committee for Biological Sciences. The committee discussed how accreditation would have been much more difficult for the School of Pharmacy without indefinite appointments. There was also discussion about an Ad Hoc Committee, which met once to look at the possibility of adding a fifth faculty division for clinical faculty. Heather D. has been working with Peg Eusch regarding a couple of changes to the new records retention schedule for personnel records. Heather recommended that ASPP be added as a document where personnel policies are found. She also recommended in regards to retention of personnel files for academic staff (regardless of indefinite status) being reviewed for transfer to the University Archives based on significant contributions to campus or in their field. Heather M. and Heather D. met with the Communications Committee regarding a poster on academic staff governance at Showcase. She also reported she is working on getting ASPP changes from last year to the Board of Regents for approval. The chancellor has approved them.
Ad Hoc Committee on Faculty Supervisors – Bruno Browning reported that the committee is being disbanded. Michael Bernard-Donals will continue to work on the implementation.
SMPH CASI – Aaron Crandall reported that the CASI will be launching a new website.
Guest: Mark Connolly, Chair of Ad Hoc Committee on Instructional Titles
Mark Connolly presented the final report of the committee to ASEC. The committee reviewed titles at 20 institutions. They are recommending adding teaching professor as a title. UW-Madison’s peers had teaching professor as a title more often than instructional professor. ASEC thanked Mark and the committee for the report. It will be presented to the Assembly in February.
Guest: Michael Bernard-Donals, Vice Provost for Faculty and Staff
Michael met with WISELI about their climate survey. They have offered to allow academic staff to use their survey tool to survey academic staff, but would be unable to provide any assistance with analysis of the results. ASEC and Michael discussed the possibility of this survey going forward including timing, etc. ASEC will continue their discussion at a future meeting.
Michael reported on the Academic Staff Chat held during the lunch hour. He felt it was an interesting discussion, but people were quieter than he expected. There was some discussion about credentialing issues and also success rates for grants with faculty PIs vs. academic staff PIs.
• February Assembly Meeting Agenda
ASEC reviewed the resolution for Darrell Bazzell as an addition to the agenda. Moved approval of the agenda for the February Assembly Meeting (Iaccarino). Seconded. Approved.
• Shared Governance Statement
Heather M. reported on two minor changes to the statement. The University Committee will review the statement next. The plan is to have the large governance bodies hold a first reading on the statement in March. A joint executive committee meeting would be held to put together changes suggested at the first reading. The statement would be voted on by the governance bodies in April. ASEC did not have any changes to the document.
• Appointments/Nominations Selection Criteria
Bruno drafted operating procedures around the ad hoc committee’s report. ASEC reviewed them and made a change to the title of the document. The Secretary of the Academic Staff’s office will use the new language when soliciting those interested in committees appointed/nominated by ASEC other than the Nominating Slate. ASEC will also begin to apply the criteria to their selection of candidates.
Motion to Convene in Closed Session Pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss nominations to the Nominating Committee, Bursar Search and Screen Committee, Director of Risk Management Search and Screen Committee, and VCRGE Ad Hoc Committee on Research Misconduct Policy and appointment to the Campus Diversity and Climate Committee. (Moscicke). Seconded. Approved.
Motion to convene in Open Session (Browning). Seconded. Approved.
Guests: Gretchen Viney and Jackie Hank, Athletic Board Academic Staff Representatives
Jackie and Gretchen reported on the hiring process for the men’s basketball coach. They reiterated the information provided by the ASEC chair in her report. Jackie will be on the hiring committee and the only woman serving on the committee.
Motion to nominate Michelle Curtis to the Bursar Search and Screen Committee (Browning). Seconded. Approved.
Motion to nominate Jim Rogers to the Director of Risk Management Search and Screen Committee (Crandall). Seconded. Approved.
Motion to nominate Hank Revercomb to the VCRGE Ad Hoc Committee on Research Misconduct Policy (Kuba). Seconded. Approved.
Motion to appoint Dan Timm to the Campus Diversity and Climate Committee (Shapiro). Seconded. Approved.
Meeting adjourned at 4:36 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Heather Daniels, Secretary of the Academic Staff