Topics Map > Campus Services > Office 365
Office 365 - Can't sign in to Microsoft Office, access Microsoft Outlook, or interact with Microsoft data files
If you are unable to sign into Microsoft Office (or Outlook repeatedly prompts you for login, does not show any data, edit a Word/Excel/PowerPoint data file, or receive encrypted connection error) it may be due to a NetID password change, a NetID change, or corrupted account credentials. Follow some common solutions to this issue below.
- Option 3 - Reset/Remove your account credentials from within your OS
- Windows OS
- Remove/Delete all Outlook/Office records from within credential manager.
- Mac OS
- Access the keychain application and remove/delete any of the following records: Microsoft Office Identities Cache 2 | Microsoft Office Identities Settings 2 and any ADAL, Microsoft, or Office entries that are listed within the "Name" or "Kind" columns. Note: search for 'microsoft' and 'adal' within the keychain application and delete all returned results. Detailed steps.
- Option 4 - Delete license files - MacOS only
- Option 5 - You are not authenticated into Office using your UW-Madison Office 365 account
- Confirm you are authenticated with your Office 365 account.
- Option 6 - If your computer is not connected to UWNET/Campus network, use WiscVPN
- Option 7 - Download and run Microsoft's Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365
- Windows OS
- Note: Only available for Windows. This tool must be run on the affected machine.
- Download the tool here: Fix Outlook and Office 365 problems with Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365.
- Option 8 - Delete Cached Preferences
- Mac OS
- Note: Only available for Mac OS.
- Outlook Desktop Client
Delete Cached Preferences
- Quit Outlook
- Open Terminal (click the Spotlight search glass in the top right corner and type terminal).
- Type: defaults delete com.microsoft.Outlook (to delete the old preferences).
- Type: killall cfprefsd (to kill the cached prefs).
- Quit Terminal.
- Launch Outlook and check.
- Option 9 - Sign out of the connected device associated with the Office email account
- Sign into the account: https://portal.office.com/account/.
- Select View apps & devices from within Office apps & devices module.
- Click DEVICES and sign out of all the devices that you are singed into. This will prompt the user to authenticate via NetID login on all the devices they are connected to via their Office 365 account.
- Option 10 - Fully uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Office