Topics Map > Campus Services > My UW-Madison
Topics Map > Campus Services > E-Learning > Learn@UW
AEFIS - Getting Started with Online Course Evaluations (Admin)
This document provides resources and instructions for getting started as an AEFIS administrator.
- Accessing AEFIS
- Initial Setup
- Creating a Survey Template
- Setting up a Survey Schedule
- Managing and Assigning a Survey Instance
- Creating Reports
- Additional Resources
AEFIS LLC (Assessment, Evaluation, Feedback & Intervention System) is a web-based assessment management platform that facilitates the collection and application of real-time assessment data. UW-Madison aims to have all courses using AEFIS for digital course evaluation surveys by the end of 2018. For more information about the transition visit Digital Course Evaluation Surveys.
Unlike student and instructor accounts, AEFIS administrator accounts are NOT created automatically. To request a new AEFIS administrator account, see AEFIS - Requesting Changes to an Administrator Account.
After your account has been set up, you can log into AEFIS at https://aefis.wisc.edu.
When you first get access to AEFIS, you should perform some initial setup tasks.
- Set the appropriate academic contact for your department. This information will appear only in AEFIS emails to faculty. See AEFIS - Setting an Academic Contact (Admin) for instructions.
- If your department needs to survey small-enrollmemt classes (e.g. less than five students), update your minimum response requirements. See instructions at AEFIS - Changing the Minimum Response Requirement (Admin).
Creating a Survey Template
Survey Templates are where you set up the questions that you are going to release to students or survey participants.
- To set up a new, blank Survey Template, see the instructions at AEFIS - Creating a Survey Template (Admin).
- After you have created your Survey Template, you can add questions by following the instructions at AEFIS - Editing Survey Template Title and Details (Admin).
- We recommend that you add a roll-up question to the survey, so that you and/or instructors have the option of adding course-specific questions to the survey later. See AEFIS - Adding Course Section Specific Questions (Admin).
- Add custom metrics to your survey. See AEFIS - Creating Survey Metrics (Admin).
Setting up a Survey Schedule
After you have completed and published your Survey Template, you can set up a Survey Schedule. Survey Schedules determine when your survey will be sent out. Also the Survey Schedule name is the name of the survey students view. You can create a new Survey Schedule every semester or, if your survey will not be changing from semester to semester, you can set the schedule to run every semester (recommended).
- Set up your Survey Schedule following the instructions at AEFIS - Creating a New Survey Schedule (Admin)
Managing and Assigning a Survey Instance
A Survey Instance is what most users think of as the actual survey. It is created after you publish your Survey Schedule.
You can perform administrative tasks at the Survey Instance level, such as changing release dates, excluding instructors from evaluation, and adding section-specific evaluation questions.
- To update settings including survey release dates, see Editing a Survey Instance (Assigning Courses, Changes Survey Dates, Emails)
- Your AEFIS survey will include the general, department-level questions that you set up in the Survey Template. To add course-specific questions, see AEFIS - Adding Course Section Specific Questions (Admin)
Most importantly, you must assign your Survey Instance to the course sections in your department that you wish to survey. If you do not assign the survey, students will not be able to take it. Course sections must be assigned anew every semester.
- To assign course sections to a survey, see AEFIS - Assigning Course Sections to a Survey (Admin).
- For courses that are cross-listed between two or more departments, only the primary department should assign the survey unless prior arrangements have been made. Read more about assigning cross-listed courses
- In some instances, you will want to exclude specific course instructors from being surveyed. See AEFIS - Excluding Instructors from Questions (Admin).
- After you assign your course sections, you may want to run the course survey assignment audit to confirm that you didn't miss anything. See Course Survey Assignment Audit - Admins.
- The Course Section Trend Analysis is the most common report run by UW-Madison AEFIS administrators. This report will generate the results for each instructor in your department along with a departmental average for comparison. See AEFIS - Running the Course Section Trend Analysis Report (Admin) for more information.
- To export a report that includes student comments, see Student Course Evaluation Comment Analysis Report.
- Check out the Academic Technology calendar for upcoming AEFIS trainings. In-person trainings and Q&As for AEFIS administrators are held several times per year.
- To see all of UW-Madison's AEFIS documentation, visit the AEIFS topic AEFIS on the KB. AEFIS User Guides are also available from the vendor.
- For information on the digital course evaluation initiative at UW-Madison, visit the Provost's Course Evaluation Survey page.
- For technical questions, email email@example.com.