Topics Map > Campus Services > Office 365
Office 365 - Getting Started with Teams
Microsoft Teams is the chat-based workspace in Office 365. It's the hub for team chats, calls, meetings, and messages. Microsoft Teams is extensible and customizable, and it's secured and standards-compliant to make sure your company's most sensitive collaborations are private.
- Microsoft Teams is a separate application that you can integrate with other Office 365 features such as Groups. For more information about Groups, please view: Office 365 - Getting Started with Groups.
- As of 6/10/2019, Groups created via Outlook on the web, Outlook desktop, Outlook mobile, SharePoint, Microsoft Stream, and Microsoft Teams are now created Private by Default.
Microsoft Teams and Office 365
- How can I access Microsoft Teams?
- Who can create a Microsoft Team?
Any fully licensed UW-Madison faculty/staff/student Office 365. See Office 365 - Reduced access to services due to an affiliation change article to verify your affiliation. Create a team.
- Who can access Microsoft Teams?
Only accounts that have an Office 365 Teams license - service accounts cannot access Microsoft Teams (see Office 365 - Reduced access to services due to an affiliation change article to verify your affiliation).
- What email address should you use to login into Teams application?
You can use any UW-Madison Office 365 email address.
- Who can be invited to a Microsoft Team?
Anyone with a valid email address.
- If the UW-Madison Office 365 account you are attempting to add is hidden in the GAL (Global Address List), it cannot be added through the Teams/Group client. You will need to use the Wisc Account Administration site to add this member.
- It may take up to 24 hours for a UW-Madison Office 365 member to be able to access the Teams application.
- If the UW-Madison Office 365 account you are attempting to add is an alumni/emeriti/service account (one that is not licensed for Teams), you will not be able to add them as a Team member.
- Can I dial-in (audio conferencing) to Teams Meetings?
Yes. This feature is enabled for all faculty/staff Office 365 accounts. If you are a student, you will not be able to create a Teams meeting that allows for dial-in feature. Learn more.
- Can external accounts (guests) be invited to a Microsoft Team?
Yes. Non-Microsoft accounts can be added as a member of a team - they will be considered as 'Guest' accounts and will have limited capabilities. See Microsoft documentation for further details.
- What are the roles in a Microsoft Team?
There are two roles to choose from: presenter and attendee. Presenters can do just about anything that needs doing in a meeting, while the role of an attendee is more controlled. See Microsoft documentation for further details on each role and the capabilities they have.
- What are the roles in a Microsoft Teams Meeting?
There are three roles within a Microsoft Team: owner, member, guest. See Microsoft documentation for further details on each role and the capabilities they have.
- Can I create a live event?
Yes. With Microsoft Live Events, you can broadcast video and meeting content to large online audiences. Anyone can attend a live event. Learn more.
- Can I use read receipts for messages in Teams?
Yes. When they read your message the Seen confirmation appears next to it. Otherwise, you'll just see a confirmation that your message was sent . Learn more.
- Can I take meeting notes?
Yes. Meeting notes are a great place to capture and share notes before, during, and after a Teams meeting. Learn more.
- Are breakout rooms available in Teams meetings?
Yes. Make sure all participants, including the meeting organizer are using the latest version of Teams. If joining on Android or iOS mobile or tablet, make sure participants go to their App Store and download the latest update.
To see the breakout rooms option within your meetings, you must turn on the new Teams meeting experience by
- Clicking on your profile image within Teams
- Select Settings
- Checking the Turn on new meeting experience option within "General" settings.
- Restart your Teams client.
- You can double check that the setting is setup correctly by starting a meeting and verifying that the meeting opens in its own window.
- Can a meeting be recorded?
Yes. Only a Teams Meeting or call can be recorded. A video or audio call cannot be recorded.
- How is Microsoft Teams different from Office 365 Groups?
Microsoft Teams is built upon Office 365 Groups and provides a new way to access shared assets for an Office 365 Group. Microsoft Teams is the best solution for persistent chat among group/team members.
- Can I add a Microsoft Team to an existing Office 365 Group?
Yes. When creating a new team in Microsoft Teams, an owner of an existing private Office 365 Group has an option to use the membership in the Office 365 Group to create the team. Create a team from an existing group.
- Can I create a new Teams using the Microsoft Teams app?
Yes - but when a new team is created via Microsoft Teams application and not associated with an existing Group, an Office 365 Group is created for the team but the group will not appear in Outlook. The group will not be visible in the Outlook left hand navigation and will not be visible in the address book (Global Address List - GAL). Additionally, the group name will not resolve when attempting to resolve the address while authoring a new mail message in Outlook clients. If the associated group does not currently exist and you want the group to be visible in the GAL, then it would be easier to create the group/team using the Group interface. If the Group already exists and is hidden in the GAL, you can request to have the Group made visible in the GAL. However, for new groups/teams created via Teams, this will not make the group visible in the Outlook left hand navigation menu - contact the DoIT Help Desk and ask them to make the Team visible to Outlook clients.
- Can I add Microsoft Teams to an existing Yammer group?
Yammer groups can't be activated into Microsoft Teams. However, you can add a Yammer feed as a connector to a channel in Microsoft Teams.
- When an existing Office 365 Group is associated with a team in Microsoft Teams, what happens to the group conversation?
The group email conversation remains in Microsoft Outlook. In Microsoft Teams, Office 365 Group members can use chat to communicate in a separate service within Teams.
- Can a deleted Team be restored?
If it has been more than 30 days since the Team was deleted, it cannot be restored. Microsoft purges all data related to a deleted Team after 30 days. If within 30 days, follow these steps to restore it:
- As the owner who deleted the Group/Team, log into Outlook on the web.
- Go to People from within Outlook screen.
- Expand the "Groups" section.
- Click Deleted folder.
- Find the Group/Team in question and click the Restore button.
Note: It may take up to an hour for the Team and all its related data to be restored and available within all clients. At this time, Shifts data/schedule is not restored - Microsoft is aware of this and is working on a solution.
|Number of members in a team||10,000|
|Number of channels per team||200|
|Number of Private channels per team||30|
|Number of people in a meeting (can chat and call in)||300|
|Number of attendees in a Teams live event||10,000|